Europe in Crisis: 1598-1648, 2nd Edition
December 2001, Wiley-Blackwell
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
This is a Print-on-Demand title. It will be printed specifically to fill your order. Please allow an additional 2-3 days delivery time. The book is not returnable.
Other Available Formats: Hardcover
List of Maps.
List of Tables.
Preface to the Second Edition.
Note on Conventions.
Prelude: Prague Spring.
1. European Society and the Economy.
Climate and Crisis.
Rich and Poor.
Supply and Demand.
An Economy on the Edge of Crisis.
2. European Society and the State.
The Theory of Absolutism.
The State and War.
3. The Times of Troubles in the East, 1593-1618.
The Austrian Habsburgs and the Turks.
The Vasas and their Enemies.
The Rape of Russia.
4. Armed Neutrality in the West, 1598-1618.
The Recovery of France.
The Netherlands Divided.
Spain under Philip III.
5. The Apogee of Habsburg Imperialism, 1618-1629.
The Bohemian Revolt.
Years of Victory.
Rise and Fall of a Coalition.
France and the Cold War for Italy.
6. The Defeat of the Habsburgs, 1629-1635.
Sweden and Poland.
Gustavus Adolphus and Wallenstein.
7. War and Revolution, 1635-1648.
On the Edge of Disaster.
The Crisis of the Spanish Monarchy.
The End of the Eighty Years' War.
The End of the Thirty Years' War.
8. The Culture of Post-Renaissance Europe.
War and Culture.
The Culture of Everyday Life.