Images of Strategy
June 2003, Wiley-Blackwell
Images of Strategy develops an innovative and multi-faceted approach to strategic management which will enable students to use and develop interesting and wide-ranging applications alongside some of the latest ideas and analysis.
- An innovative and multi-functional approach to strategic management.
- Approaches strategy from different viewpoints: functional, eg technology and systems management, marketing, accounting and HRM, and analytical, eg organization theory, game theory and knowledge management
- Helps students to analyse, integrate and apply the many competing functional elements of strategic choice in today's world.
- Includes case examples to illustrate the chapters.
- Provides further reading sections and student questions
- Written by a team of top management scholars with many years of successful MBA teaching experience.
Further lecturer resources and links, including case analyses and Power Point slides, are available at www.blackwellpublishing.com/cummings
Preface: Stephen Cummings, David Wilson and Robin Wensley.
1. Images of Strategy: Stephen Cummings and David Wilson.
2. Strategy as Ethos: Stephen Cummings.
3. Strategy as Organizing: Karen Legge.
4. Strategy as Intention and Anticipation: Robin Wensley.
5. Strategy as Orchestrating Knowledge: John McGee.
6. Strategy as Data + Sense Making: Bob Galliers and Sue Newell.
7. Strategy as Creativity: Chris Bilton, Stephen Cummings and David Wilson.
8. Strategy as Exploration and Interconnection: Duncan Angwin.
9. Strategy as Systems Thinking: John Brocklesby and Stephen Cummings.
10. Strategy as Process, Power and Change: Andrew Pettigrew.
11. Strategy as Marketing: Peter Doyle.
12. Strategy as Numbers: Chris Smith.
13. Strategy as Decision Making: David Wilson.
Afterword: Gibson Burrell.
David Wilson in Professor of Strategy at the Warwick Business School, head of the Centre for Corporate Strategy and Creativity, and author of many previous books and journal articles.
The contributing authors include well-known and respected scholars in organization and management theory with many years experience of teaching MBAs, undergraduates and executives at one of the leading business schools in Europe:
"Images of Strategy breaks new ground. It takes us away from the stale bureaucratic metaphors of strategy towards a dynamic field that is much more useful to the real world of business. Images of Strategy is a must read for all who call themselves "strategic thinkers. The academic field of strategy won't be the same." R Edward Freeman, Darden University of Virginia
"This is one of the most refreshing books in strategy that I have seen for a long time. It blends smoothly Porter's rigour, Mintzberg's playfulness and Morgan's multi-perspectivism. Cummings and Wilson have brought together a number of fascinating papers and have done so within an eclectic yet insightful framework that stretches from the ancient Greeks to postmodern philosophers. A wonderfully refreshing book!" Haridimos Tsoukas, University of Strathclyde
“Images of Strategy…puts forward a way of looking at strategy development that seeks to acknowledge, combine and network ideas from a variety of perspectives. Practiced in this spirit, the approach is a refreshing, challenging, and energizing one that can potentially stimulate significant breakthroughs in theory and practice. Images of Strategy is a fascinating book to read. It is targeted to managers interested in strategy. Will it help them become better strategists? I believe so!” William D. Guth, Academy of Management Review, July 2004
Images of Strategy (US $130.00)
-and- The Strategy Pathfinder: Core Concepts and Live Cases, 2nd Edition (US $50.00)
Total List Price: US $180.00
Discounted Price: US $135.00 (Save: US $45.00)