The People of Bali
May 2001, Wiley-Blackwell
List of Figures.
List of Maps.
Note about the Authors.
1. The Land and its People.
2. Pre-colonial Bali.
3. Agriculture, Crafts and Spheres of Exchange.
4. Social Organization.
5. Religion and Beliefs in Practice.
6. Myth and Tradition.
7. The Persuasive Artistry of the Healer.
8. The Process of Modernization.
Urs Ramseyer studied cultural anthropology, sociology and musicology in Basle and Paris. He is the head of the South-East Asian Department at the Basle Museum of Ethnology. His previous books include The Art and Culture of Bali (1977).
Albert Leemann studied at the University of Zurich and the Alliance française in Paris. He is Emeritus Professor of Social and Environmental Geography at the University of Zürich.
- The fullest account of Indonesia's best known people.
- Jointly written by an anthropologist, a geographer and an art historian.
- Beautifully illustrated with original photographs.