City and Country: An Interdisciplinary Collection
August 2001, Wiley-Blackwell
1. Editor's Introduction: Laurence S. Moss.
Part I: Historical Perspectives on the Agglomeration Approach to Economic Growth:.
1. Henry George and Classical Growth Theory: A Significant Contribution to Modeling Scale Economies : John Whitaker.
2. Modeling Agglomeration and Dispersion in City and Country Gunnar Myrdal, François Perroux, and the New Economic Geography: Stephen J. Meardon.
3. City and Country: Lessons from European Economic Thought: Jürgen G. Backhaus; Gerrit Meijer.
4. Making the Country Work for the City: Von Thünen's Ideas in Geography, Agricultural Economics and the Sociology of Agriculture: Daniel Block, E. Melanie DuPuis.
Part II: New Research on Size, Geography, Specialization and Productivity:.
1. Agglomeration and Congestionin the Economics of Ideas and Technological Change: Norman Sedgley; Bruce Elmslie.
2. Zipf's Law for Cities and Beyond: The Case of Denmark: Thorbjørn Knudsen.
3. The Structure of Sprawl: Identifying and Characterizing Employment Centers in Polycentric Metropolitan Areas: Nathan B. Anderson, William T. Bogart.
4. Edge Cities and the Viability of Metropolitan Economies: Contributions to Flexibility and External Linkages by New Urban Service Environments: David L. McKee; Yosra A. McKee.
5. Manufacturing and Rural Economies in the United States: The Role of Nondurable Producers, Labor Costs and State Taxes: Mark Jelavich.
Part III: Case Studies: Land Value Taxation and Real Estate Development:.
1. Value Capture as a Policy Tool in Transportation Economics: An Exploration in Public Finance in the Tradition of Henry George: H. William Batt.
2. Coordinating Opposite Approaches to Managing Urban Growth and Curbing Sprawl: A Synthesis: Thomas L. Daniels.
3. Leapfrogging, Urban Sprawl, and Growth Management: Phoenix, 1950–2000: Carol E. Heim.
4. A City without Slums: Urban Renewal, Public Housing, and Downtown Revitalization in Kansas City, Missouri: Kevin Fox Gotham.
5. A City Divided by Political Philosophies: Residential Development in a Bi-Provincial City in Canada: Gura Bhargava.
Part IV: The Transformation of the City in the 21st Century:.
1. International Sister-Cities: Bridging the Global-Local Divide: Rolf D. Cremer; Anne de Bruin; Ann Dupuis.
2. The Completely Decentralized City: The Case for Benefits Based Public Finance: Fed E. Foldvary.
- A novel statistical method for identifying employment centers
in the polycentric city.
- Several essays deal with the amazing Zipf's Law.
- The volume contains a number of case studies describing the experiences of major cities such as Phoenix, Arizona; Kansas City, Missouri; and Lloydminster, Canada with patterns of development including urban sprawl.
City and Country: An Interdisciplinary Collection (US $113.95)
Total List Price: US $157.90
Discounted Price: US $118.42 (Save: US $39.48)