The Saxon and Norman Kings, 3rd Edition
November 2001, Wiley-Blackwell
Preface to the Third Edition.
Preface to the 1963 Edition (Abbreviated).
2. The Method of this Inquiry.
3. On King-Making.
4. The Occupations of a King.
7. The Small Kingdoms.
8. Interlude: 670-871.
10. The Tenth Century.
11. Cnut and Edward the Confessor.
12. The Conqueror and the Conquest.
13. The Conqueror's Sons.
- Makes first-hand history from the sources available to a wide audience
- Invites readers to join in a detective enquiry into the problems of reconstructing early medieval history
- Now includes a new chapter on queens and a new prologue and bibliography
"Brooke romps through the exceptionally long period 450-1154, and his treatment is highly intelligent, witty, and jokey ... a most attractive and learned jeu d'esprit." English Histroical Review