The Public Intellectual
September 2002, Wiley-Blackwell
Introduction (Helen Small).
1. The Public Role of Writers and Intellectuals (Edward W. Said).
2. Pre-modern Intellectual Biography (Rita Copeland).
3. Humanism, Slavery, and the Republic of Letters (David Wallace).
4. Hamlet the Intellectual (Margreta de Grazia).
5. Deaths of the Intellectual: A Comparative Autopsy (Jeremy Jennings).
6. New Art, Old Masters, and Masked Passions (Linda S. Kauffman).
7. Apathy and Accountability: The Challenge of South Africa’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission to the Intellectual in the Modern World (Jacqueline Rose).
8. The Sweatshop Sublime (Bruce Robbins).
9. "Every Fruit-Juice Drinker, Nudist, Sandal-Wearer…": Intellectuals as Other People (Stefan Collini).
- Responds critically to recent concerns about a decline in public intellectual life.
- Includes contributions from prestigious thinkers, such as Edward Said, Bruce Robbins, Jacqueline Rose, and Stefan Collini.
- Substantially extends the historical focus of writing about intellectuals.
Buy Both and Save 25%!
The Public Intellectual (US $148.00)
-and- The Literary Theory Toolkit: A Compendium of Concepts and Methods (US $27.95)
Total List Price: US $175.95
Discounted Price: US $131.96 (Save: US $43.99)