World Philosophies: A Historical Introduction, 2nd Edition
September 2002, Wiley-Blackwell
Part I: Ancient Philosophies: .
The 'Schools' and their Framework.
Samkhya and Yoga.
Ethics and Indian Philosophy.
The Character of Chinese Philosophy.
Naturalism and Relativism.
Epicureanism, Scepticism and Stoicism.
Part II: Middle Period and 'Modern' Philosophies: .
5. Medieval Philosophies.
Religion and Philosophy.
Neo-Platonism and Early Christianity.
Islamic and Jewish Philosophy.
Thomism and its Critics.
6. Developments in Asian Philosophy.
7. From Renaissance to Enlightenment.
Humanism and the Rise of Science.
Dualism, Materialism and Idealism.
Monism and Monadology.
Enlightenment and Its Critics.
Part III: Recent Philosophies:.
8. Kant and the Nineteenth Century.
Philosophies of the Will.
Marxism and Social Darwinism.
Positivism, Pragmatism and British Idealism.
9. Recent Non-Western Philosophies.
China and Japan.
The Islamic World.
10. Twentieth-Century Western Philosophies.
Philosophies of Life.
Phenomenology, Hermeneutics and Existentialism.
Logical Atomism and Logical Positivism.
Postmodernism and Related Tendencies.
- Introduces all the main philosophical systems of the world, from ancient times to the present day.
- Now includes new sections on Indian and Persian thought and on feminist and environmental philosophy.
- The preface and bibliography have also been updated.
- Written by a highly successful textbook author.
‘By opening the door to cross-cultural comparison, Cooper has let in a draught that may blow away the whole house of cards, and uncover the parts of philosophy that the histories never reached.' Jonathan Rée, Times Higher Education Supplement
World Philosophies: A Historical Introduction, 2nd Edition (US $155.95)
-and- Gardening - Philosophy for Everyone: Cultivating Wisdom (US $20.95)
Total List Price: US $176.90
Discounted Price: US $132.67 (Save: US $44.23)