A Companion to Romance: From Classical to Contemporary
October 2004, Wiley-Blackwell
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
This is a Print-on-Demand title. It will be printed specifically to fill your order. Please allow an additional 5-6 days delivery time. The book is not returnable.
Other Available Formats: E-book
Romance is a varied and fluid literary genre, notoriously difficult to define. This groundbreaking Companion surveys the many permutations of romance throughout the ages.
- Considers the literary and historical development of the romance genre from its classical origins to the present day
- Incorporates discussion of the changing readership of romance and of romance’s special relation to women readers
- Comprises 30 essays written by leading authorities on different periods and sub-genres
- Challenges the idea that the appeal of romance is exclusively escapist
- Draws on a wide range of specific and influential literary examples