Dying Words: Endangered Languages and What They Have to Tell Us
May 2009, Wiley-Blackwell
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
This is a Print-on-Demand title. It will be printed specifically to fill your order. Please allow an additional 5-6 days delivery time. The book is not returnable.
A Note on the Presentation of Linguistic Material.
Part I: The Library of Babel.
1. Warramurrungunji’s Children.
2. Four Millennia to Tune In.
Part II: A Great Feast of Languages.
3. A Galapagos of Tongues.
4. Your Mind in Mine: Social Cognition in Grammar.
Part III: Faint Tracks in an Ancient Wordscape: Languages and Deep World History.
5. Sprung from Some Common Source.
6. Travels in the Logosphere: Hooking Ancient Words onto Ancient Worlds.
7. Keys to Decipherment: How Living Languages Can Unlock Forgotten Scripts.
Part IV: Ratchetting Each Other Up: The Coevolution of Language,Culture, and Thought.
8. Trellises of the Mind: How Language Trains Thought.
9. What Verse and Verbal Art Can Weave.
Part V: Listening While We Can.
10. Renewing the Word.
Epilogue: Sitting in the Dust, Standing in the Sky.
Index of Language Names.