June 2002, Wiley-Blackwell
List of Maps.
1. The Paradox of the Manchus.
2. Shamans and "Clans": The Origins of the Manchus.
3. The Enigma of Nurgachi.
4. The Qing Expansion.
5. The Guided Age of Qianlong.
6. The Lingering Death of the Empire.
7. Epilogue: The Manchus in the Twentieth Century.
Appendix I. Reign Periods of the Aisin Gioro Rulers.
Appendix II. Cherished Soldiers.
Appendix III. A Glossary of Names and Terms.
- A history from the origins of the Manchus to the murder of the former last Manchu emperor by the guards of the people who ruled China from 1685 to 1912
- Explains how the Manchus achieved their empire and what the consequences were for themselves and their subjects.
- Based on the author's unrivalled knowledge of primary sources in Manchu, Mongolian, Russian, Chinese, Kitan, Fench and Japanese.
- Concludes by examining the fate of the contemporary Manchu minority in China and considers the signs of a resurgence of ethnic identity.
- Now available in a paperback edition.