Treatment Options in Urological Cancer
January 2002, Wiley-Blackwell
All urologists, whether in training or in practice, need an up-to-date survey of the literature and key findings in this important and controversial field.
This book takes each organ in turn (prostate, kidney, bladder, testis and penis) and tackles the controversies head-on by inviting chapters on various (often rival) treatments for each disease. Each section is then concluded by a commentary from the editor which draws together the various strands, outlines the principal areas of consensus and disagreement.
Jonathan Waxman is an oncologist who specialises in urological tumours and has developed new treatments for prostate, bladder and kidney cancer and for terminal care, which are now part of standard practice. He founded the Prostate Cancer Charity and helped establish an all-party parliamentary group to improve cancer treatment and research throughout the UK.
Part 1: Kidney Caner.
1. The Molecular Biology of Kidney Cancer. (E. P. Castle, G.S. Hallman & J. B. Thrasher).
2. Cytokines and Angiogenesis Inhibitor Treatments. (S. Chowdhury & M. Gore).
3. Surgical Management of Metastatic Renal Cancer. (D. F. Badenoch).
Part 2: Bladder Cancer.
4. The Molecular Biology of Bladder Cancer. (P. E. Keegan, D. E, Neal & J. Lunec).
5. Surgery for Advanced Bladder Cancer. (D. W. W. Newling).
6. Chemotherapy and Bladder Cancer. (F. Calabro & C.N. Sternberg).
7. Treatment Options in Superficial (PTa/PT1/CIS) Bladder Cancer. (J. L. Ockrim & P. D. Abel).
Part 3: Prostate Cancer.
8. The Molecular Biology of Prostate Cancer. (J. Wang & J Waxman).
9. Surgical Pathology of Prostate Cancer. (C.S. Foster).
10. Prostate Radiotherapy. (C. R. Lewanski & S. Stewart).
11. Prostate Cancer: Immediate vs. Deferred Treatment. (D. Kirk).
12. Hormone Therapy of Prostate cancer. (R. Agarwal & Waxman).
13. Chemotherapy in Hormone Refractory Prostate Cancer. (Leslie E. F. Moffat).
14. Radical Prostatectomy. (T. J. Christmas & A. P. Doherty).
15. The Case against Radical Surgery for Early Prostate Cancer. (Leslie E. F. Moffat).
Part 4: Testicular Cancer.
16. Genetics of Adult Male Germ Cell Tumors. (J. Houldsworth, G. J. Bosl & R. S. K. Chaganti).
17. Surveillance, Chemotherapy, and Radiotherapy for Stage 1 Testicular Germ Cell Tumours. (D. H. Palmer & M. H,. Cullen).
18. Chemotherapy of Testicular Cancer. (I. A. Burney & G. M. Mead).
19. Salvage Chemotherapy Regiments of Relapsing Germ Cell Cancer. (M. L. Harvey & G. M. Mead).
20. Surgery for Testicular Cancer. (W. F. Hendry).
Part 5: Penile Cancer.
21. Viral Agents in the Development of Penile Cancer. (P. H. Rajjayabun, T. R. L. Griffiths & J. K. Mellon).
22. Current Concepts in the Management of Penile Cancer. (R. Sarin & H. B. Tongaonkar).
* Commentaries provide expert guidance through controversial issues
* Covers all urological tumours; kidney, bladder, prostate, testis and penis
* The author has written 200 papers on cancer and 8 books. He is a member of the American Association of Cancer Research, American Society of Clinical Oncologists and the Association of Physicians.