Freshwater Prawn Culture: The Farming of Macrobrachium Rosenbergii
January 2001, Wiley-Blackwell
This landmark publication is a compendium of information on every aspect of the farming of M. rosenbergii. A comprehensive review of the status of freshwater prawn farming research, development and commercial practice, the book is intended to stimulate further advances in the knowledge and understanding of this important field.
An extremely well-known and internationally-respected team of contributing authors have written cutting edge chapters covering all major aspects of the subject. Coverage includes biology, hatchery and grow-out culture systems, feeds and feeding, up-to-date information on the status of freshwater prawn farming around the world, post-harvest handling and processing, markets, and economics and business management. Further chapters are devoted to the culture of other prawn species, prawn capture fisheries and the sustainability of freshwater prawn culture. Contributions to the book have been brought together and edited by Michael New and Wagner Valenti, themselves widely known for their work in this area.
The comprehensive information in Freshwater Prawn Culture will give an important commercial edge to anyone involved in the culture and trade of freshwater prawns. Readership should include prawn farm personnel, business managers and researchers, and invertebrate, freshwater and crustacean biologists. Copies of the book should be available on the shelves of all libraries in research establishments and universities where aquaculture and fisheries are studied and taught.
Michael Bernard New, OBE is a Past-President of the World Aquaculture Society and President-Elect of the European Aquaculture Society; Wagner Cotroni Valenti is a Professor at the Aquaculture Center, São Paulo State University, Brazil.
1 History and Global Status of Freshwater Prawn Farming.
2 Nomenclature and Taxonomy.
4 Broodstock Management.
5 Flow-through Hatchery Systems and Management.
6 Recirculation Hatchery Systems and Management.
7 Larval Prawn Feeds and the Dietary Importance of Artemia.
8. Nursery Systems and Management.
9. Grow-out System- Site Selection and Pond Construction.
10 Grow-out Systems- Monoculture.
11. Grow-out Systems- Culture in Temperate Zones.
12. Grow-out Systems- Polyculture and Integrated Culture.
13. Nutrition, Feeds and Feeding.
14 Grow-out Systems- Water Quality and Soil Management.
15. Health Management.
16. Biology and Management of Size Variation.
17. Commercial Freshwater Prawn Farming Around the World.
18. Post-harvest Handling and Processing.
19. Marketing and Preparation for Consumption.
20. Economics & Business Management.
21 Culture of Other Prawn Species.
22. Prawn Capture Fisheries and Enhancement.
23. Sustainability of Freshwater Prawn Culture.
* prawn culture is an expanding multibillion dollar business
* increasing competition and environmental problems demand the most up-to-date scientific know-how
* edited by world authorities, with contributions from distinguished experts
"...this collecting of information from a variety of sources is
invaluable. The result is that the editors have been successful in
putting together a comprehensive volume relating to topics relevant
to the culture of freshwater prawn"
"The book surely provides the reader with almost everything they
need to know about this vital subject."
Fishing Boat World
"The book is exceptionally well designed and organized, making
for very easy reading. This is no doubt the best up-to-date book I
have seen on the subject of prawn farming."
Buy Both and Save 25%!
Freshwater Prawn Culture: The Farming of Macrobrachium Rosenbergii (US $373.00)
-and- Life in the World's Oceans: Diversity, Distribution, and Abundance (US $240.95)
Total List Price: US $613.95
Discounted Price: US $460.46 (Save: US $153.49)