Familiar Exploitation: A New Analysis of Marriage in Contemporary Western Societies
August 1992, Polity
Delphy and Leonard present their wide-ranging theoretical discussion alongside a comparative study of the family in urban and rural areas. Theoretical innovation is consistently matched by empirical analysis of the family in diverse settings.
1. Feminism and the Family.
Part I: Critical Perspectives.
2. Part of Capitalism: Accounts of Womens' Oppression in the Family by Traditional Marxists.
3. Still Part of Capitalism? Marxist Feminist Accounts of the Family.
Part II: A New Theoretical Approach to the Western Family.
4. Housework, Household Work and Family Work.
5. The Family as an Economic System: Introduction and Common Misconceptions.
6. The Family as an Economic System: Theoretical Outline.
Part III: Empirical Studies.
7. Factory Workers' Families in England.
8. Farm Families in France.
9. The Variety of Work Done by Wives.
'This work provides a fresh perspective on gender relations.' Family Matters
'Brilliant feminist analysis of the family as an economic system.' Ms Magazine