Mapping the Renaissance World: The Geographical Imagination in the Age of Discovery
October 1994, Polity
Introduction: Renaissance and Cosmography.
1. The Cosmographical Model.
2. Ancient Lessons: A Bookish Orient.
3. Mythologics: The Invention of Brazil.
4. Mythologics II: Amazons and Monarchs.
5. Cartographics: An Experience of the World and an Experiment on the World.
Epilogue: The End of Cosmography.
- This is an original and engaging account of the ways in which the discovery of the new world altered the world-view of Europeans during the Renaissance
- The author is one of the best young historians in France today.
'Given Lestringant's previous work in this area, they can expect an important and informative book; they will not be disappointed.' Sixteenth Century Journal