Which Equalities Matter?
October 1999, Polity
1. Democracy and Equality.
2. Taking Difference Seriously.
3. Does Economic Equality Matter?.
4. From Access to Recognition.
5. Deliberation and the Republic.
6. Equal Yet Unequal?.
* Outstanding, accessible book ranging over key contemporary theoretical and empirical issues.
* Well-known author making an original contribution, linking issues in political and social theory, feminist debates, multiculturalism and questions about minority rights.
'Anne Phillips has done it again! Which Equalities Matter? is at once a major theoretical contribution and a salutory political intervention.' Nancy Fraser, New School for Social Research
'In an age of growing inequality, Anne Phillips has written a timely and important book: a politically engaged, theoretically sophisticated, energetic and circumstantial argument for reversing the trend. Egalitarianism finds here a wonderfully lively and skilful defender.' Michael Walzer, Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton
‘An important new book.' The Guardian
'[A] welcome contribution to current debates.' Journal of European Area Studies