What Is Globalization?
February 2000, Polity
The National State Caught between World Economy and Individualization: What is to be Done?.
The Globalization Shock: A Belated Discussion.
Part I: Dimensions, Controversies, Definitions: .
1. The World Horizon Opens Up: On the Sociology of Globalization.
2. Transnational Civil Society: How a Cosmopolitan Vision is Emerging.
3. Contours of World Society: Rival Perspectives.
Part II: Perspectives:.
4. Errors of Globalism.
5. Responses to Globalization.
6. Europe and Globalization.
Conclusion: Decline a la Carte: The Brazilianization of Europe.
* Examines the meaning of globalization and explores political responses to it.
* Argues that a decisive critique of globalism is necessary to make space for the primacy of politics.
'This introduction to the thorny path of the globalization debate aims to clarify the ambiguities of the debate, distinguish between the various types of globalization, and warn the reader of conceptual traps.' Business Horizons