February 2005, Polity
Feminizing Politics makes a vital contribution to debates about the role of women in politics today. It will be of interest to students and scholars of comparative politics and gender studies as well as the interested general reader.
- List of Tables
- List of Abbreviations
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- Chapter 2: Feminism and Political Representation: Ideas and
- Chapter 3: Obstacles to Feminising Politics
- Chapter 4: Equality strategies and the Quota Movements
- Chapter 5: Examples Quotas and Parite
- Chapter 6: Making a Difference?
- A major contribution to the debates about the role of women in politics today.
- Offers an insightful analysis of the changes in the political representation of women since the 1960s.
- Draws on a wide range of material including interviews with women politicians, policy advocates and academics.
- Explores how institutions, processes and procedures are affected by the changing number of women in politics.
Elizabeth Meehan, Queen's University, Belfast
'Well-written, compelling and thoroughly theorized, Feminizing
Politics is a sophisticated treatment of women's political
representation, both of women and by women in parliament. Written
as an intervention in the debate about how to achieve women's
political representation in Britain, Feminizing Politics speaks
beyond the British case to issues of comparability across nations,
specific parliamentary contexts, critical mass and women's policy
issues. Joni Lovenduski examines gender realignment, party quotas
for women, and the institutional resistance to women in parliament,
presenting a sombre but not pessimistic assessment of the impact of
large numbers of new women in the 1997 House of Commons.'
Karen Beckwith, The College of Wooster, Ohio
'This highly readable book offers a useful overview of key
issues regarding the role of women in politics today, especially
Britain. ...This book, aimed at students and scholars of
comparative politics and gender studies, as well as the general
reader, is an excellent starting point for those who wish to
explore the theme of women and politics in Britain today.'
June Purvis, Times Higher Education Supplement, 27 May
'Feminizing Politics is a useful resource for politics
students and anyone interested in the advance of women through the
political system in the UK and elsewhere, as it is accessible and
clearly written in a reader-friendly style ... A particular
strength of the book lies in the combination of a historical
perspective on the issue of feminism and political representation
with a wide-ranging discussion of the contemporary situation which
is truly global in its geographical scope'
Jane Martin, Gender and Education, January 2007
Buy Both and Save 25%!
Feminizing Politics (US $24.95)
Total List Price: US $41.90
Discounted Price: US $31.42 (Save: US $10.48)