February 2005, Polity
Feminizing Politics makes a vital contribution to debates about the role of women in politics today. It will be of interest to students and scholars of comparative politics and gender studies as well as the interested general reader.
- List of Tables
- List of Abbreviations
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- Chapter 2: Feminism and Political Representation: Ideas and Struggles
- Chapter 3: Obstacles to Feminising Politics
- Chapter 4: Equality strategies and the Quota Movements
- Chapter 5: Examples Quotas and Parite
- Chapter 6: Making a Difference?
- A major contribution to the debates about the role of women in politics today.
- Offers an insightful analysis of the changes in the political representation of women since the 1960s.
- Draws on a wide range of material including interviews with women politicians, policy advocates and academics.
- Explores how institutions, processes and procedures are affected by the changing number of women in politics.
Elizabeth Meehan, Queen's University, Belfast
'Well-written, compelling and thoroughly theorized, Feminizing Politics is a sophisticated treatment of women's political representation, both of women and by women in parliament. Written as an intervention in the debate about how to achieve women's political representation in Britain, Feminizing Politics speaks beyond the British case to issues of comparability across nations, specific parliamentary contexts, critical mass and women's policy issues. Joni Lovenduski examines gender realignment, party quotas for women, and the institutional resistance to women in parliament, presenting a sombre but not pessimistic assessment of the impact of large numbers of new women in the 1997 House of Commons.'
Karen Beckwith, The College of Wooster, Ohio
'This highly readable book offers a useful overview of key issues regarding the role of women in politics today, especially Britain. ...This book, aimed at students and scholars of comparative politics and gender studies, as well as the general reader, is an excellent starting point for those who wish to explore the theme of women and politics in Britain today.'
June Purvis, Times Higher Education Supplement, 27 May 2005
'Feminizing Politics is a useful resource for politics students and anyone interested in the advance of women through the political system in the UK and elsewhere, as it is accessible and clearly written in a reader-friendly style ... A particular strength of the book lies in the combination of a historical perspective on the issue of feminism and political representation with a wide-ranging discussion of the contemporary situation which is truly global in its geographical scope'
Jane Martin, Gender and Education, January 2007
Feminizing Politics (US $24.95)
Total List Price: US $41.90
Discounted Price: US $31.42 (Save: US $10.48)