Confronting Culture: Sociological Vistas
October 2003, Polity
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
This is a Print-on-Demand title. It will be printed specifically to fill your order. Please allow an additional 2-3 days delivery time. The book is not returnable.
Other Available Formats: Hardcover
Confronting Culture offers a clear and accessible discussion and analysis of the complex field of the sociology of culture, and how it compares with approaches developed within cultural studies.
- An accessible guide to the complex field of the sociological study of culture.
- Unique in showing how sociological understandings of culture often differ from rival approaches in the discipline of cultural studies.
- Introduces the various ways of thinking sociologically about culture that have been developed over the last century.
- Examines the legacy of classical sociology for the sociology of culture, and situates thinking about culture within the historical, cultural and social contexts of the rival schools of thought in the US, UK, France and Germany.
- Examples of topics under discussion include the rise of postmodernism, the American production of culture approach, and the cultural sociology of Pierre Bourdieu.