Global History: A Short Overview
August 2001, Polity
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
This is a Print-on-Demand title. It will be printed specifically to fill your order. Please allow an additional 2-3 days delivery time. The book is not returnable.
The Classical Era.
Part I: The Primary Concern.
1. Global Odyssey: Searching for Subsistence.
2. Civilized Centres: Settlements Become Permanent.
3. Rulers and Myths; Preconditions of Stability.
Part II: The Political Prospect.
4. Hostile Encounters: The Threat from Outside:.
5. Communication Network: Paths to Co-existence.
6. Global Response: The Spreading of the Empires.
Part III: The Religious Factor.
7. Creeds of Empire: Conformity and Allegiance.
8. Crossing Frontiers: Faiths and Universalism.
9. Division and Decline: Propaganda for Salvation.
From Classical to Modern.
The Modern Era.
Part IV: New Beginnings.
10. Movements of Peoples: Nomads and New Settlers.
11. Economic Breakthrough: New Bases of Subsistence.
12. Church and State: Twin Pillars of Stability.
Part V: Wider Identities.
13. Centuries of Empire: Global Impulse Renewed.
14. Tools of Empire: Technology of Expansion.
15. Creeds of Empire: Ideologies on the Move.
Part VI: Global Tendencies.
16. The World Economy: From Crisis to Growth.
17. Hostile Encounters: Civilizations at War.
18. Communication Network: Search for Co-existence.