Globalization and Finance
January 2005, Polity
He examines the complex networks of public-sector and non-governmental institutions and practices that facilitate the globalization of finance and provide an emerging set of arrangements for regulating it.
The book is both comprehensive and innovative, and includes chapters on banking, securities markets, foreign direct investment, private authority, the role of developing and transition countries, global civil society, gender, the politics of risk practices and financial crises, and democracy.
Written for students approaching the topic for the first time, this book provides a coherent, empirical and theoretically rigorous introduction to the governance of global finance.
* List of Acronyms
* Part I: The Institutionalization of Global Finance
* Chapter 1
* Introduction: Why Study Global Finance?
* Chapter 2
* Debates and Controversies in the Conceptualization of Global Finance
* Chapter 3
* The Emerging Regime for Regulating Global Finance
* Part II: Sectoral Developments
* Chapter 4
* International Banking
* Chapter 5
* The Governance of Global Securities and Derivatives Markets
* Chapter 6
* Foreign Direct Investment
* Part III: New Actors and New Frontiers in Global Finance
* Chapter 7
* Business Institutions and Private-Sector Norms
* Chapter 8
* Developing and Transition Countries
* Chapter 9
* Non-Governmental Organizations and Global Civil Society
* Part IV: Democracy and Politics in the Governance of Global Finance
* Chapter 10
* Gender and the Globalization of Finance
* Chapter 11
* Risk Politics and Financial Crises
* Chapter 12
* Democracy and Legitimacy in the Governance of Global Finance
- Provides a timely and accessible introduction to the governance of global finance.
Discusses the extent to which the development of a global marketplace affects our daily lives.
Written for students approaching the topic for the first time.
Includes chapters on banking, securities markets, foreign direct investment, private authority,the role of developing and transition countries, global civil society, gender, the politics of risk practices and financial crises, and democracy.
“Tony Porter’s Globalization and Finance covers everything you ever wanted to know on the subject: theory, data, history, policy, impacts and ethics. All is meticulously researched, thoughtfully analyzed, and lucidly written. Porter makes global finance both interesting and accessible. An empowering read!”Jan Aart Scholte, University of Warwick
“Tony Porter not only tackles the most salient issues and approaches relating to the globalization of finance, but does so in a highly accessible manner. Students will find this book an invaluable introduction to the topic.”
Susanne Soederberg, Queen’s University at Kingston, Ontario
"Tony Porter's book presents an interesting viewpoint on globalisation and global finance....The narrative is a rich mixture of history, institutional economics, international finance and social science including political science."
Globalization and Finance (US $69.95)
Total List Price: US $94.90
Discounted Price: US $71.17 (Save: US $23.73)