Globalization and Finance
January 2005, Polity
He examines the complex networks of public-sector and
non-governmental institutions and practices that facilitate the
globalization of finance and provide an emerging set of
arrangements for regulating it.
The book is both comprehensive and innovative, and includes
chapters on banking, securities markets, foreign direct investment,
private authority, the role of developing and transition countries,
global civil society, gender, the politics of risk practices and
financial crises, and democracy.
Written for students approaching the topic for the first time, this book provides a coherent, empirical and theoretically rigorous introduction to the governance of global finance.
- List of Acronyms
- Part I: The Institutionalization of Global Finance
- Chapter 1
- Introduction: Why Study Global Finance?
- Chapter 2
- Debates and Controversies in the Conceptualization of Global
- Chapter 3
- The Emerging Regime for Regulating Global Finance
- Part II: Sectoral Developments
- Chapter 4
- International Banking
- Chapter 5
- The Governance of Global Securities and Derivatives
- Chapter 6
- Foreign Direct Investment
- Part III: New Actors and New Frontiers in Global Finance
- Chapter 7
- Business Institutions and Private-Sector Norms
- Chapter 8
- Developing and Transition Countries
- Chapter 9
- Non-Governmental Organizations and Global Civil Society
- Part IV: Democracy and Politics in the Governance of Global
- Chapter 10
- Gender and the Globalization of Finance
- Chapter 11
- Risk Politics and Financial Crises
- Chapter 12
- Democracy and Legitimacy in the Governance of Global
- Provides a timely and accessible introduction to the governance of global finance.
Discusses the extent to which the development of a global marketplace affects our daily lives.
Written for students approaching the topic for the first time.
Includes chapters on banking, securities markets, foreign direct investment, private authority,the role of developing and transition countries, global civil society, gender, the politics of risk practices and financial crises, and democracy.
“Tony Porter’s Globalization and Finance covers
everything you ever wanted to know on the subject: theory, data,
history, policy, impacts and ethics. All is meticulously
researched, thoughtfully analyzed, and lucidly written. Porter
makes global finance both interesting and accessible. An empowering
read!”Jan Aart Scholte, University of Warwick
“Tony Porter not only tackles the most salient issues and
approaches relating to the globalization of finance, but does so in
a highly accessible manner. Students will find this book an
invaluable introduction to the topic.”
Susanne Soederberg, Queen’s University at Kingston,
"Tony Porter's book presents an interesting viewpoint on
globalisation and global finance....The narrative is a rich mixture
of history, institutional economics, international finance and
social science including political science."
Buy Both and Save 25%!
Globalization and Finance (US $69.95)
Total List Price: US $94.90
Discounted Price: US $71.17 (Save: US $23.73)