Islam in Europe
January 2004, Polity
Goody traces three routes of Islam into Europe, following the Arab through North Africa, Spain and Mediterranean Europe; the Turk through Greece and the Balkans; and the Mongol through Southern Russia to Poland and Lithuania. Each thrust made its mark on Europe in terms of population and culture. Yet this was not merely a military impact: especially in Spain, but elsewhere too, Europe was substantially modified by this contact. Today it takes the form of some eleven million immigrants, not to speak of the possible incorporation of further millions through Bosnia, Albania and Turkey.
1 Past Encounters.
2 Bitter Icons and Ethnic Cleansing.
3 Islam and Terrorism.
4. The Taliban, the Bamiyan and Us -- the Islamic Other.
References and Bibliography.
- written by one of the world’s leading
- examines the role of Islam in European history;
- demonstrates the importance of Islam to Europe past and
- places current affairs issues in a long term historical
- discusses terrorism and ethnic cleansing in a comparative context.