Creative Writing: A Guide and Glossary to Fiction Writing
December 2006, Polity
The book is for students doing creative writing in higher education, at "A" level, and it will be essential reading for anyone interested in writing fiction.
- Definitions of over 200 terms and techniques to do with fiction writing
- How to achieve fictional effects
- Literary examples of the techniques described
Characteristics of genre as well as literary fiction
- Basic but essential techniques such as writing dialogue and using figures of speech
- Definitions of major terms used in publishing
- A comprehensive introductory guide to fiction creative writing, organised as an extended glossary of terms.
- Defines the key terms associated with creative writing and acts as a guide as to how best to use those techniques.
- Written very clearly and is accessible to all students studying creative writing from A level onwards or in continuing education.
- Includes helpful sources for further information and an index of copy-editing symbols.
Writing in Education
"Superbly written and organized, Creative Writing is as thoroughly engaging and 'reader friendly' as it is informed and informative, making it a very highly recommended addition to any aspiring novelist's technical reference collection."
Midwest Book Review
"A present with a future - the guide might lead lead to a new career for its recipient."
"Creative Writing will be useful to apprentices at all levels."
Times Literary Supplement
"This is a comprehensive and eminently accessible text. The information is authoritative and clearly presented. The coombination of guide and gloassary is very appealing and I could see this being of great interest not only to writers but to fiction writing tutors and English Literature teachers as well. I thoroughly enjoyed browsing through the entries. The explanation of technical terms and the practical illustrations makes this a very readable reference book."
Jane Bluett, a member of The National Association for the Teaching of English
"An innovatiove and informative guide. As well as offering clear and comprehensive definitions of figures of speech, historical and current literary trends and many aspects of publishing, Bulman's book includes numerous entries on fiction writing techniques which cannot fail to inspire the aspiring writer."
Sue Richardson, writer and lecturer in Creative Writing