A History of Political Thought: From Antiquity to the Present
September 2008, Polity
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
Other Available Formats: Hardcover
- The most comprehensive single volume history of political philosophy text on the market covering all the key themes and thinkers from antiquity to the present day.
- Accessible and engaging, it traces the development of arguments and controversies from ancient Greece, through different forms of community, state and empire, to today’s more global concerns.
- Unlike other books on the market which are organised chronologically, this book adopts a primarily thematic approach to the topic.
- Major thinkers covered include Plato, Aristotle, Augustine, Aquinas, Machiavelli, Grotius, Locke, Spinoza, Montesquieu, Hume, Kant, Rousseau, Burke, Hegel, Marx, Mill, Lenin, Schmitt, Nietzsche, Foucault, Oakeshott and Rawls.
- Lucidly written by a leading academic in the field, this book is the perfect introduction to a very important topic.