Europe: The Faltering Project
July 2009, Polity
In this new book, one of Europe’s leading intellectuals examines the political alternatives facing Europe today and outlines a course of action for the future. Habermas advocates a policy of gradual integration of Europe in which key decisions about Europe’s future are put in the hands of its peoples, and a ‘bipolar commonality’ of the West in which a more unified Europe is able to work closely with the United States to build a more stable and equitable international order.
This book includes Habermas’s portraits of three long-time philosophical companions, Richard Rorty, Jacques Derrida and Ronald Dworkin. It also includes several important new texts by Habermas on the impact of the media on the public sphere, on the enduring importance religion in “post-secular” societies, and on the design of a democratic constitutional order for the emergent world society.
1. "...And to define America, her athletic Democracy." In Memory of Richard Rorty.
2. How to Answer the Ethical Question: Derrida and Religion.
3. Ronald Dworkin – A Maverick among Legal Scholars.
II. Europe, Europe.
4. An Avantgardistic Intuition for Relevances: The Role of the Intellectual and European Question.
5. What is Meant by a “Post-secular Society”? A Discussion on Islam in Europe.
6. European Politics at an Impasse: A Plea for a Policy of Graduated Integration.
7. The Constitutionalization of International Law and the Problems of Legitimating a Constitution for World Society.
III. On Reason in the Public Sphere.
8. Media, Markets and Consumers: The Quality Press as the Backbone of the Public Sphere.
9. Political Communication in Media Society – Does Democracy still have an epistemic Dimension? The Impact of Normative Theory on Empirical Research.
- A major new book by one of the leading philosophers and social thinkers in the world today.
- Examines the political alternatives facing Europe today, when the optimism about Europe’s future has faded and yet the stakes are higher than ever.
- Habermas advocates a policy of gradual integration of Europe in which key decisions about Europe’s future are put in the hands of its peoples, and a ‘bipolar commonality’ of the West in which a more unified Europe is able to work closely with the United States.
- The volume also includes portraits of a number of philosophers, including Rorty and Derrida, and important new texts on the ‘post-secular society’ and the fate of the public sphere.
Book of the day in the Irish Times
"Habermas's reflections on Richard Rorty, Jacques Derrida and Ronald Dworkin provide additional context for his later essays. But it is in the second and third parts of the book that Habermas shines most brightly."
Europe: The Faltering Project (US $26.95)
-and- What's Wrong with the Europe Union and How to Fix It (US $22.95)
Total List Price: US $49.90
Discounted Price: US $37.42 (Save: US $12.48)