August 2012, Polity
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
- An award-winning account of Stalin’s reign of terror when 1.5 million people lost their lives in a single year.
- Karl Schlögel reconstructs the process through which, month by month, the terrorism of a state-of-emergency regime spiraled into the ‘Great Terror’.
- He revisits the sites of show trials and executions and provides a masterful panorama of these key events in Russian history.
- Based on countless documents, Schlögel’s historical masterpiece enables us to experience the fear that was felt by people subjected to totalitarian rule.
- This absorbing account of the Soviet purges will be essential reading for all students of Russia and for any readers interested in one of the most dramatic and disturbing events of modern history.