December 2011, Polity
Since his philosophical bestseller Critique of Cynical Reason (1983), Sloterdijk has exercised an important influence over German and other European thought and recently interest in his diverse oeuvre has grown considerably. The past few years have seen a number of his books translated into English, with many more to come. The book seeks to do justice to the breadth of Sloterdijk’s work throughout his career, orientated around the central topics of cynicism, ressentiment, the posthuman, space and world, art and literature, language, social science and his role as a public intellectual. Contributors include Babette Babich, Sjoerd van Tuinen, Eduardo Mendieta, Marie-Eve Morin, Efrain Kristol, Wieland Hoban, Nigel Thrift, Jean-Pierre Couture, and Sloterdijk himself.
An explicitly interdisciplinary project, Sloterdijk Now is a crucial introduction to the work of this central thinker, in its complexity, variety and notoriety. It is set to spark debate amongst students and scholars across the humanities and social sciences.
- List of Contributors
- Sloterdijk's work in German and English translations
- 1. Worlds, Engagements, Temperaments
- Stuart Elden
- 2. Sloterdijk's Cynicism: Diogenes in the Marketplace
- Babette Babich
- 3. From Psychopolitics to Cosmopolitics: The Problem of Ressentiment
- Sjoerd van Tuinen
- 4. A Letter on Überhumanismus: Beyond Posthumanism and Transhumanism
- Eduardo Mendieta
- 5.The Coming-to-the-World of the Human Animal
- Marie-Eve Morin
- 6. A Public Intellectual
- Jean-Pierre Couture
- 7.The Language of Give and Take: Sloterdijk's StylisticbMethods
- Wieland Hoban
- 8.Peter Sloterdijk and the Philosopher's Stone
- Nigel Thrift
- 9.Literature in Sloterdijk's Philosophy
- Efraín Kristal
- 10.The Time of the Crime of the Monstrous: On the Philosophical Justification of the Artificial
- Peter Sloterdijk
- Peter Sloterdijk is one of the most challenging and controversial figures in contemporary continental philosophy.
- This book represents the first major engagement with Sloterdijk’s thought in the English language, and will provoke new debates across the humanities.
- The collection ranges across the full breadth of Sloterdijk’s work, covering such key topics as cynicism, ressentiment, posthumanism and the role of the public intellectual.
- Features contributions by leading scholars such as Nigel Thrift, Wieland Hoban, Eduardo Mendieta and Sloterdijk himself.
Sylvère Lotringer, Columbia University
"Sloterdijk is finally coming to the fore as one of the most thought-provoking thinkers of the twenty-first century. These original and insightful essays not only present a persuasive case for the significance of Sloterdijk's unique position on a range of important issues, they also confront the curious resistance of Sloterdijk's thought. Why, given the profound range and depth of this magisterial theorist, have we not yet come to terms with the problems he poses? Elden's introduction and the authoritative contributions that follow would be of value for anyone new to Sloterdijk's work as well as already committed readers who seek to enrich their understanding."
Claire Colebrook, Penn State University