August 2012, Polity
What kind of science is psychoanalysis? What kind of truth does it offer and what kind of proof does it provide? What does the concrete practice of psychoanalysis consist of? What can it tell us about creativity and the work of art? What is its place within our culture and how can it transform culture? What is the role of narrative in psychoanalysis?
Ricoeur reading Freud: this could have been the title of this volume, in which the focus is on the actual work of Freud and not on subsequent commentaries. An open reading of intellectual integrity. A critical reading which shuns definitive positions. A reading to understand Freud.
This book - the first volume of Ricoeur's writings and lectures - brings together texts which appeared between 1966 and 1988. It is published under the auspices of Le Fonds Ricoeur.
- Editor's Introduction
- Note about this edition
- Translator's Note
- The Question of Proof in Psychoanalytic Writings
- Psychoanalysis and Hermeneutics
- The Self in Psychoanalysis and in Phenomenological Philosophy
- Image and Language in Psychoanalysis
- Psychiatry and Moral Values
- The Atheism of Freudian Psychoanalysis
- Psychoanalysis and Art
- Life: A Story in Search of a Narrator
- Narrative: Its Place in Psychoanalysis
- Post-Script: Listening to Freud One Last Time
- Postface: Desire, Identity, the Other - Psychoanalysis for Paul Ricoeur after Freud and Philosophy, Vinicio Busacchi
- Origin of Texts