Cockatiels For Dummies
Written by a leading national expert on companion birds and a lifelong cockatiel owner and breeder, Cockatiels For Dummies is your total guide to adopting, caring for, and forming a loving relationship with one or more of these diminutive parrots. It gets you up to speed on how to:
- Decide if a cockatiel is right for you and your family
- Select a healthy cockatiel
- Provide a suitable indoor environment
- Supply a satisfying and nutritious diet for your pet
- Train your cockatiel
- Communicate with your bird through body language
- Interpret your bird’s moods
- Breed cockatiels for fun and profit
Author Diane Grindol provides loads of sensible, easy-to-follow advice along with fun facts, trivia, amusing and informative anecdotes, and tips on how to have a great time with your feathered friend. Among other important topics, she fills you in on what you need to know about:
- The pros and cons of pet stores versus breeders when choosing a cockatiel
- Assessing a bird’s health and disposition and getting a health guarantee
- Feeding, grooming, caring for, and socializing your pet
- Exercising your cockatiel
- Training your bird to be a great companion
- Keeping your little pal happy and healthy for life
A fun guide for you and your cockatiel, Cockatiels For Dummies is the only book you’ll need to help you have the best possible experience with this smart, perky, incredibly loveable avian breed.
PART I: So You Think You'll Get a Cockatiel.
Chapter 1: Living with a Personable Pet Cockatiel.
Chapter 2: Choosing Your Own Cockatiel.
PART II: Cockatiel Care.
Chapter 3: Home Tweet Home.
Chapter 4: Eating Like a Bird.
Chapter 5: Getting Things for Your Cockatiel.
Chapter 6: Trimming and Grooming.
Chapter 7: Freedom! Time Outside the Cage.
Chapter 8: Vacationing with or without Your Cockatiel.
PART III: Behavior and Training.
Chapter 9: Understanding Normal Cockatiel Behaviors.
Chapter 10: Training Your Cockatiel to Be an Outstanding Companion.
Chapter 11: What to Do about Problem Behaviors.
PART IV: Keeping Cockatiels Healthy.
Chapter 12: Coming to the Rescue.
Chapter 13: Lifelong Health Care.
PART V: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 14: Ten Mistakes That Spoil Cockatiel Ownership.
Chapter 15: Ten New Year's Resolutions.
Book Registration Information.