Vocabulary For Dummies
Your boyfriend says you have no élan, is he telling you you’re all out of yogurt? Starting to wish you’d paid more attention in English class? Don’t worry, it’s never too late to develop a million dollar vocabulary—and Vocabulary For Dummies offers you a fast, fun and easy way to do it.
Whether you’re facing standardized tests, or you want to feel more knowledgeable at work or more comfortable in social situations, this book is for you. In no time you’ll:
- Dramatically expand your vocabulary
- Speak with style
- Write with panache
- Make a better impression a work or school
- Dine out with confidence
- Have the right words for formal occasions and ethnic events
- Get more out of what you read
Vocabulary For Dummies doesn’t overwhelm you with endless word lists. Instead, it gives you a complete vocabulary-building program that familiarizes you with words from all areas of life as they’re used in context—from bar mitzvahs to business meetings, PCs to politics—with a host of fun features, including:
- Word tables organized by common features, such as language of origin, professional or social contexts, similarities, and more
- Sample conversations incorporate new terms and define related ones
- Before-and-After examples show how to replace old, general terms with new specific vocabulary
- Pointers reinforce understanding with examples of correct and incorrect usage
- Chapters on terms from finance, law, medicine, eating and shopping, history and mythology, various languages, and more
Vocabulary For Dummies makes it easier than ever for you to get a handle on difficult words and get ahead at school, at work, and in life.
Part I: Getting Your Bearings.
Chapter 1: Figuring Out How Words Work.
Chapter 2: Building Your Vocabulary.
Chapter 3: Picking Up Meaning.
Chapter 4: Using the Right Word.
Part II: Mastering the Basics.
Chapter 5: Getting to the Root of the Matter.
Chapter 6: Starting Off with Prefixes.
Chapter 7: Ending Well: Suffixes.
Part III: Expanding Your Base.Chapter 8: Shading Meaning: Synonyms, Antonyms, Connotations, Denotations.
Chapter 9: Hear Your Homonyms and Homophones Here.
Chapter 10: Compounding Words.
Chapter 11: Romancing English: Words from French, Spanish, and Italian.
Chapter 12: Borrowing from the Neighbors: Words from Other Languages.
Part IV: Getting Savvy with Vocabulary.
Chapter 13: Trying Your Skills on Standardized Tests.
Chapter 14: Taking Care of Business Vocabulary.
Chapter 15: Mutterings on Money Matters.
Chapter 16: Speaking Legalese.
Chapter 17: Doctoring Your Words: Medical Terms.
Chapter 18: Acquiring Shopping and Eating Language.
Chapter 19: Expanding the Language: Recent Additions.
Chapter 20: Exploring Words from Real and Mythical People and Places.
Part V: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 21: Don't Go There: Language to Avoid.
Chapter 22: Distinctions Worth Making.
Chapter 23: Ten Techniques for Nonnative Speakers.