Psychology For Dummies
Psychology For Dummies is a fun, user-friendly guide to the basics of human behavior and mental processes. In plain English and using lots of everyday examples, psychologist Dr. Adam Cash cuts through the jargon to explain what psychology is all about and what it tells us about why we do the things we do. With this book as your guide, you’ll:
- Gain profound insights into human nature
- Understand yourself better
- Make sense of individual and group behaviors
- Explore different approaches in psychology
- Recognize problems in yourself and others
- Make informed choices when seeking psychological counseling
From Freud to forensics, anorexia to xenophobia, Psychology For Dummies takes you on a fascinating journey of discovery. Topics covered include:
- Major schools of thought and how they differ
- The role of the body, the mind, relationships and culture in human psychology
- What is consciousness, awareness, and consciousness of self?
- Instinct, feeling and emotion and where they come from
- Developmental psychology and how people learn
- The role of gender in psychology
- Abnormal and forensic psychology
- Emotional and psychological problems and psychotherapy
Human behavior is an endlessly fascinating subject. Get Psychology For Dummies and find out what the science of human behavior has to say about why we do the things we do.
Part I: Behaving Yourself.
Chapter 1: Why Do People Do What They Do?
Chapter 2: Making Theories out of Chaos.
Part II: Picking Your Brain.
Chapter 3: Hardware, Software, and Wetware.
Chapter 4: Conscious Beings.
Chapter 5: Go Ahead, Be a Little Sensitive.
Part III: Thinking and Feeling.
Chapter 6: Watching Yourself Think.
Chapter 7: How Does That Make You Feel?
Part IV: Barking Up the Right Learning Tree.
Chapter 8: Pavlov's Dogs.
Chapter 9: Thorndike's Cats and Skinner's Rats.
Part V: Getting Personal with Social Psychology.
Chapter 10: Getting into the Mood with Freud.
Chapter 11: Developing an Award-Winning Personality.
Chapter 12: Catching the First Boat off Isolation Island.
Chapter 13: Knowing Thyself and Knowing Others.
Chapter 14: Conforming Like a Contortionist: Social Psychology.
Chapter 15: Growing Up with Psychology.
Part VI: Knowing Whether You're a Nut.
Chapter 16: Modern Abnormal Psychology.
Chapter 17: Figuring Out the Criminals with Forensic Psychology.
Part VII: Helping You Heal.
Chapter 18: Assessing the Problem and Testing Your Psyche.
Chapter 19: Getting Comfy on the Couch.
Chapter 20: Changing Behavior, Changing Thinking.
Chapter 21: Being a Person Is Tough: Client-Centered, Gestalt, and Existential Therapies.
Chapter 22: Coping with Stress and Illness.
Part VIII: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 23: Ten Tips for Maintaining Psychological Health.
Chapter 24: Ten Great Psychological Movies.