Migraines For Dummies
Your complete guide to taking charge of your migraines and getting your life back, Migraines For Dummies offers a focused, fleshed-out program that works in the real world. This friendly guide fills you in on what you need to know to:
- Understand migraines and why you get them
- Relieve symptoms
- Pinpoint pain triggers
- Sort through the various medications
- Evaluate alternative remedies
- Make simple migraine-busting lifestyle changes
- Stop migraines from disrupting your family and work lives
- Find a good doctor to help you manage the beast
The authors look at the whole spectrum of the problem—from dealing with the number-one issue of pain relief, to handling the peripheral problems like absences from work skepticism from friends, and impact on family. They also explore a range of critical related issues, including:
- Different types of migraines, including abdominal, ocular, hemiplegic, opthamoplegic, and women’s hormonal migraines
- Triggers, such as environmental allergens, stress, dietary triggers, and even exercises that can cause migraines
- Over-the-counter medications, vitamins and herbal supplements
- Biofeedback, meditation, massage, acupuncture, and other alternative remedies
- The pros and cons of prescription remedies, including ergotamine derivatives, antidepressants, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, botox and more
You’ve tried Aunt Edna’s camphor-soaked head cloths. Now explore a sensible, medically sound approach, and get on the road to full-fledged pain relief with Migraines For Dummies.
Part I: Looking at the Big Picture: Migraines Demystified.
Chapter 1: Knowing What You’re Dealing With: An Overview.
Chapter 2: Coping with the Symptoms.
Chapter 3: Knowing Your Foes.
Part II: Getting Diagnosed.
Chapter 4: Distinguishing a Migraine from Other Head Pain.
Chapter 5: Finding a Good Migraine Doctor.
Chapter 6: Having Your Head Examined and Coming Up with a Plan.
Part III: Giving Migraines a Knockout Punch.
Chapter 7: Spelling Relief without a Prescription.
Chapter 8: Taking Care of Pain with Prescription Drugs.
Chapter 9: Sampling Alternative Remedies.
Chapter 10: Making Medical Decisions Even When You’re Migraine-Hazy.
Part IV: Committing to Lifestyle Changes.
Chapter 11: Catching and Rejecting Food Triggers.
Chapter 12: Getting Physical with Your Migraines.
Chapter 13: Eyeballing Environmental Enemies.
Chapter 14: Looking at the Link between Migraines and Sleep.
Part V: Staying Connected to the People in Your Life.
Chapter 15: Living the Good Life Despite Migraines.
Chapter 16: Managing Migraines at Work.
Chapter 17: Handling Your Homelife.
Part VI: Managing Special-Situation Migraines.
Chapter 18: Spotting the Dangerous Headache.
Chapter 19: Let’s Hear It for the Girls: Hormonal Migraines.
Chapter 20: Helping a Child with Migraines.
Chapter 21: Holding Off the Sex Migraine.
Chapter 22: Sideswiping Migraines Caused by Stress.
Chapter 23: The Senioring Effect: Aging and Migraines.
Part VII: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 24: Ten Tips for Dealing with Folks Who Don’t Get Migraines.
Chapter 25: Ten Things You Can Do for the Migraine Sufferer You Love.
Chapter 26: Eleven Ways NOT to Treat a Migraine.