Hebrew For Dummies
Whether you want to communicate with your Israeli cousins, understand Jewish prayers and sacred literature, impress your Jewish in-laws, or you’re planning a trip to Israel, this book/audio package can help. In no time, you’ll:
- Master Hebrew sounds and rhythms
- Understand basic grammar and usage
- Get a handle on the Hebrew alphabet
- Make small-talk, and most everyday transactions
- Discover the basics of Hebrew blessings and prayer
- Gain insights into Hebrew culture and traditions
Each chapter of Hebrew For Dummies is organized around a specific set of activities—such as eating, traveling, shopping, and asking directions—and gives you the lowdown on all the Hebrew you’ll need to get by. Topics covered include:
- Eating, going shopping, having fun, sports, hobbies, talking on the phone, communicating around the office, and other everyday activities
- Hebrew for travelers, including transportation, hotels, money changing, asking directions, and handling emergencies
- Sacred Hebrew, including reading the Bible and prayer books, blessing formulas, sacred rites and services, and more
The enclosed audio CD let’s you pick up Hebrew the easy way—through actual conversations. It features:
- Dialogues by native Hebrew speakers
- Answers to the Fun & Games activities in the book
The fun, easy way to master basic Hebrew, this book will quickly get you on track with the language skills you need to speak and read Hebrew like a native.
Part I: Getting Started.
Chapter 1: You Already Know Some Hebrew.
Chapter 2: The Nitty Gritty: Basic Hebrew Grammar.
Chapter 3: Shalom, Shalom! Meeting and Greeting.
Part II: Hebrew in Action.
Chapter 4: Getting to Know You: Making Small Talk.
Chapter 5: Eat! Eat! You’re So Thin!
Chapter 6: Going Shopping.
Chapter 7: Having Fun Hebrew Style.
Chapter 8: Enjoying Your Free Time: Hobbies, Sports, and Other Fun Activities.
Chapter 9: Talking on the Phone.
Chapter 10: At the Office and Around the House.
Part III: Hebrew on the Go.
Chapter 11: Planning a Trip.
Chapter 12: Getting Around: Flying, Driving, and Riding.
Chapter 13: Checking into a Hotel.
Chapter 14: Money, Money, Money.
Chapter 15: Where Is the Western Wall? Asking Directions.
Chapter 16: Handling Emergencies.
Part IV: Sacred Hebrew.
Chapter 17: Let’s Get Biblical.
Chapter 18: Like a Prayer.
Chapter 19: Sacred Time, Sacred Space.
Part V: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 20: Ten Ways to Pick Up Hebrew Quickly.
Chapter 21: Ten Books on Hebrew You Just Gotta Have.
Chapter 22: Ten Favorite Hebrew Expressions.
Chapter 23: Ten Great Israeli Phrases.
Chapter 24: The Ten Commandments in Hebrew.
Appendix A: Verb Tables.
Appendix B: Mini-Dictionary.
Appendix C: Answer Key.
Appendix D: On the CD.