AOL For Dummies, 2nd Edition
- A traditional bestseller, AOL For Dummies is the only regularly updated reference book on the market for beginning AOL users
- Covers the essentials of signing up for AOL, getting around the AOL channels, using AOL's e-mail and instant messaging, and exploring the Web browser
- Helps first-time users take advantage of AOL's broadband content and the newest features of AOL 9.0 Optimized, such as improved safety features, e-mail systems, and on-demand programming
- Highlights the changes that users of previous versions will encounter with AOL 9.0
- Includes coverage of new high-speed services
Part I: Driver’s Ed for the Digital Traveler.
Chapter 1: What You Got Yourself Into (And What You Need to Enjoy the Trip).
Chapter 2: I Didn’t Know You Could Do That Online!
Chapter 3: Peering through AOL’s Windows.
Chapter 4: Dealing with Spams, Scams, Viruses, and Hoaxes.
Part II: Settling Into Your Online Home.
Chapter 5: Making Your Preferences Known.
Chapter 6: Doing the Screen Name Tango.
Chapter 7: Taking Away the Online Car Keys with Parental Controls.
Chapter 8: Navigating the System and Marking Your Favorite Destinations.
Chapter 9: Where’s Your Buddy? Where’s Your Pal?
Chapter 10: AOL Companion: Look — on the Desktop! Something Small, Blue, and Useful.
Part III: Connecting and Communicating.
Chapter 11: E-Mailing the World, One Mailbox at a Time.
Chapter 12: Chatting the Day (And Night) Away.
Chapter 13: Dropping a Quick “Hello” with Instant Messages.
Chapter 14: Posting On the Message Boards and Joining the Groups.
Chapter 15: Reading, Keeping, and Sharing Thoughts with an AOL Journal.
Part IV: Diving Into the Fun Stuff.
Chapter 16: Finding People, Places, Things, and Information.
Chapter 17: Cruising the Internet.
Chapter 18: There’s Music in the Wires.
Chapter 19: Tracking News, Weather, Markets, and More.
Part V: Secret Tricks of the AOL Gurus.
Chapter 20: Customizing Your Online Persona.
Chapter 21: Dressing Up Your Software with Fresh Buttons and a New Menu.
Chapter 22: Spinning a Web (Site) of Your Own.
Chapter 23: Sampling AOL’s Advanced Tools.
Part VI: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 24: Ten Fun Things to Do Online.
Chapter 25: Ten Things That Can Go Wrong (And How to Fix Them).