Healthy Carb Cookbook For Dummies
Whether you’re a first-timer or a “try, try-againer”, this book helps you get with the low-carb program and stick with it! Building on the success of Low-Carb Dieting For Dummies, it gives you loads of nutritional information plus more than 100 sumptuous low-carb recipes like Crunchy Brunch Oatmeal Pecan Waffles, Caribbean Chicken, Chile Spiced Broccoli, and Lemon Torte with Raspberries. Low-Carb Cookbook For Dummies includes:
- A complete nutritional analysis for each recipe so you can’t go wrong
- Lots of recipes for dishes with 5 carbs or less
- Recipes that de-carb no-nos like Southern fried chicken and Philly cheese steak sandwiches
- Recipes for soups, seafood, and meat dishes, including pork chops, lamb and steaks (with a steak chart so you can chart a low-carb course)
- Recipes for great desserts, including chocolate specialties and cheesecake
- Vegetarian recipes and crock pot specialties
- Terrific wrap recipes using lettuce, tortillas, or crepes
- Guidelines for eating low-carb when you’re dining out or brown-bagging it
Author Jan McCracken, a health advocate and low-carber for more than ten years, has written two low-carb cookbooks and is a contributor to numerous low-carb publications. Having fallen off the low-carb wagon several times herself, she alerts you to things that can sabotage your success and clues you in on carb counting and techniques that have worked for her. You’ll get started right with:
- Mini-courses on low-carb math and on low-carb nutritition and the glycemic index
- A shopping list for stocking a low-carb kitchen
- The scoop on different kinds of carbs and artificial sweeteners
- Tips on using spices creatively for variety and flavor
- Advice on incorporating exercise, including taking the first step (and lots more steps) with a pedometer
- Tips for reducing stress (a common cause of bingeing)
With this information, you won’t be mystified. With the fantastic recipes, you won’t feel deprived. You will be inspired to stick to a low-carb lifestyle—one that can help you lose weight and feel healthier!
Part I: Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Counting Carbs.
Chapter 1: Taking Control of Carbs In and Out of the Kitchen.
Chapter 2: Raising Your Total Carb Awareness.
Chapter 3: Organizing and Shopping for the Low-Carb Kitchen.
Chapter 4: Adopting a Healthy, Carb-Conscious Lifestyle with Ease.
Chapter 5: Completing the Wellness-for-Life Puzzle: Putting Your Body in Motion.
Part II: Low-Carb Cooking Made Easy.
Chapter 6: Waking Up to Breakfast.
Chapter 7: Soothing Your Low-Carb Soul with Soup.
Chapter 8: Building More Than Just a Salad.
Chapter 9: Living a Low-Carb Life by the Sea.
Chapter 10: Stickin’ with Chicken in Your Low-Carb Lifestyle.
Chapter 11: Visiting the Meat Counter.
Chapter 12: Serving Up Veggies Galore.
Chapter 13: Dazzling Low-Carb Desserts.
Part III: Expanding Everyday Low-Carb Cooking.
Chapter 14: Outsmarting Cravings with Low-Carb Snacks and Dips.
Chapter 15: Wrapping It Up, Low-Carb Style.7
Chapter 16: Coming Home to Slow-Cooked Comfort Foods.
Chapter 17: Even More Delightful Dishes with 5 Net Grams of Carbs or Less.
Part IV: Eating Low-Carb on the Town and on the Run.
Chapter 18: Taking the Low-Carb Road to Restaurants.
Chapter 19: Brown-Bagging It, Low-Carb Style.
Chapter 20: Cooking Dinner in a Low-Carb Heartbeat.
Part V: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 21: Ten Easy Ways to Simplify Your Low-Carb Cooking.
Chapter 22: Ten Foods to Eat More Of.
Chapter 23: Ten Carb-Counting Web Sites.
Appendix: Common Abbreviations and Metric Conversion Guide.