The Skilled Facilitator: A Comprehensive Resource for Consultants, Facilitators, Managers, Trainers, and Coaches, 2nd Edition
July 2002, Jossey-Bass
PART ONE: HOW FACILITATION HELPS GROUPS.
1. The Skilled Facilitator Approach.
2. What Makes Work Groups Effective?
3. The Facilitator and Other Facilitative Roles.
PART TWO: DIAGNOSING BEHAVIOR IN GROUPS.
4. Understanding the Theories That Guide Our Actions.
5. Ground Rules for Effective Groups.
6. Diagnosing Behaviors That Enhance or Hinder Group Effectiveness.
PART THREE: INTERVENING IN GROUPS.
7. Deciding Whether, How, and Why to Intervene.
8. How to Intervene.
9. Using the Ground Rules to Intervene.
10. Using the Skilled Facilitator Approach with Other Processes.
11. Beginning and Ending Meetings.
12. Dealing with Emotions.
PART FOUR: AGREEING TO WORK TOGETHER.
13. Contracting: Deciding Whether and How to Work Together.
14. Working with Another Facilitator.
PART FIVE: USING FACILITATIVE SKILLS IN YOUR OWN ORGANIZATION.
15. Serving as Facilitator in Your Own Organization.
16. The Facilitative Leader.
Resource A: Current and Previous Ground Rules.
Resource B: Sample Planning Meeting Letter.
Resource C: Guidelines for Developing an Effective Contract.
Resource D: Sample Agreement for Basic Facilitation.
Resource E: Sample Agreement for Developmental Facilitation.
Resource F: Guidelines for Using Experiential Exercises and Self-Knowledge Instruments.
Resource G: Questions for Cofacilitators.
Resource H: Guidelines for Contracting with Your Manager.
ROGER SCHWARZ is an organizational psychologist and founder and president of Roger Schwarz & Associates, Inc., a consulting group that helps organizations use facilitative skills to create fundamental change. He facilitates groups and teaches, consults, coaches, and speaks on facilitation, facilitative leadership, and developing effective work groups. Schwarz is currently working on The Skilled Facilitator Fieldbook, to be published by Jossey-Bass. To learn more about Roger Schwarz & Associates, visit www.schwarzassociates.com.
- Takes a more conversational approach
- Offers a clear analysis of the Skilled Facilitator approach, based on a set of core values, assumptions, and principles
- Defines the five facilitative roles--facilitator, leader, coach, consultant, and trainer
- Shows how groups can act inconsistently with ground rules and what to do to intervene
- Describes the theories that guide a facilitator's actions
Buy Both and Save 25%!
The Skilled Facilitator: A Comprehensive Resource for Consultants, Facilitators, Managers, Trainers, and Coaches, 2nd Edition (US $40.00)
Total List Price: US $109.50
Discounted Price: US $82.12 (Save: US $27.38)