You Paid How Much For That?!: How to Win at Money Without Losing at Love
March 2002, Jossey-Bass
You Paid How Much For That? can help you to
* Learn how a Saver and Spender can live together-happily!
* Gain a healthy respect for what money can-and can't-do for you.
* Understand how your upbringing, culture, and gender influence how you and your partner approach relationships and money differently.
* Find out how to solve problems together in ways that promote teamwork.
* Discover practical ways to get what you both want most.
* Capture a vision for a prosperous and loving future together.
PART ONE: THE INVISIBLE FORCES
1 Marriage, Money, and Real Life 11
2 The Master Key 33
3 An Introduction to Invisible Forces 48
4 The Full Monty: Exposing Hidden Issues 58
5 Great (and Not So Great) Expectations 72
6 Where Expectations Come from 90
7 Just How Opposite Is the Opposite Sex? 108
Going Deep 125
PART TWO: NOW THAT WE UNDERSTAND, WHAT DO WE DO?
8 Talking Things Out 139
9 Real Solutions for Real Problems 156
10 The Golden Ground Rules 174
11 Accounting for Love 187
PART THREE: SHOW US THE MONEY
Introduction to Money Management 211
12 Getting It Together 217
13 What Do You Have? 226
14 Smart Borrowing, Dumb Debt 240
15 Insurance: How to Protect What You’ve Got 257
16 Taxes: Keeping More of What You Make 277
17 A Penny Saved Is . . . Not Much! How to Control Spending 288
18 Investing: How to Get More 305
PART FOUR: FINDING YOUR TARGET
19 The Heart of Commitment 327
20 Turning Reality into Dreams 343
Choosing a Financial Planner 367
Our Ten Favorite Books on Money Management and Investment 375
Resources and Training 377
Research and References 379
About the Authors 387
--Diane Sollee, director, Coalition for Marriage, Family and Couples Education and www.smartmarriages.com