Resizing the Organization: Managing Layoffs, Divestitures, and Closings
January 2003, Pfeiffer
Preface (Dave Ulrich).
1. The Realities of Resizing (Mitchell Lee Marks, Kenneth P. De Meuse).
2. Who Moved My Drink? The Preparation for the Closure of Seagram's Spirits and Wine Business: A Personal Experience (Ronny Vansteenkiste).
3. Another Layoff? A Dot-Com Reality! My Story (Jeffrey Crandell).
4. Contribution-Based Process for Continually Right-Sizing an Organization: Experiences from W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc. (Raymond G. Lorenz).
5. The Effects of Organizational Resizing on the Nature of the Psychological Contract and Employee Perceptions of Contract Fulfillment (Scott W. Lester, Jill R. Kickul, Thomas J. Bergmann, Kenneth P. De Meuse).
6. The Impact of Corporate Downsizing on Employee Fulfillment and Organizational Capacity (Jack W. Wiley, Scott M. Brooks, Emily L. Hause).
7. Financial Consequences of Employment-Change Decisions in Major U.S. Corporations, 1982-2000 (Wayne F. Cascio, Clifford E. Young).
8. Resizing and the Marketplace: The Response of Customers and Competitors to Reorganization (David T. Bastien, Todd J. Hostager).
9. The Impact of Layoffs on Family, Friendship, and Community Networks (Daniel C. Feldman).
10. Moving as the Markets Move: Planning for Resizing (Kathryn D. McKee, Nina E. Woodard).
11. How to Implement Organizational Resizing (Roger D. Sommer).
12. Revitalization After Resizing (Mitchell Lee Marks).
13. The Hidden Costs and Benefits of Organizational Resizing Activities (Anthony F. Buono).
14. Organizational Adaptability: Rethinking the Resizing Process (Jessica L. Saltz, Philip H. Mirvis).
15. Quicker, Faster, Cheaper, Smarter: Resizing Organizations, Resizing Employees (Kenneth P. De Meuse, Mitchell Lee Marks).
Mitchell Lee Marks is a consultant to a broad variety of organizations in the United States and abroad, including AOL, GAP, DaimlerChrysler, Motorola, and Lucent. He is the author of numerous articles, scholarly journals, and books, including Joining Forces (Jossey-Bass, 2000).