Learning to Listen, Learning to Teach: The Power of Dialogue in Educating Adults, Revised Edition
July 2002, Jossey-Bass
Preface to the Revised Edition 2002.
Part One: A Process That Works and Why.
1. Twelve Principles for Effective Adult Learning.
2. Quantum Thinking and Dialogue Education.
3. How the Principles Inform Course Design:Two Examples.
Part Two: The Principles in Practice:Across Cultures and Around the World.
4. Learning Needs and Resources Assessment:Taking the First Step in Dialogue.
5. Safety: Creating a Safe Environment for Learning.
6. Sound Relationships: Using the Power ofFriendship.
7. Sequence and Reinforcement: Supporting TheirLearning.
8. Praxis: Turning Practice into Action andReflection.
9. Learners as Decision Makers: Harnessing thePower of Self Through Respect.
10. Learning with Ideas, Feelings, and Actions:Using the Whole Person.
11. Immediacy: Teaching What Is Really Useful toLearners.
12. Assuming New Roles for Dialogue: Embracingthe Death of the Professor.
13. Teamwork: Celebrating Learning Together.
14. Engagement: Learning Actively.
15. Accountability: Knowing How They KnowThey Know.
Part Three: Becoming an EffectiveTeacher of Adults16. Reviewing the Twelve Principles and QuantumThinking.
17. How Do You Know You Know? Supposing andProposing.
Appendix: Ways of Doing Needs Assessment.
The book is highly recommended reading for every trainer in the Habitat for Humanity organization.
"The deep lessons [this book] contains creep up on you and
flower into joyful insights. Jane Vella is one of the most gifted
adult educators I have known."
--from the Foreword by Malcolm S. Knowles, professor emeritus, North Carolina State University
"The stories furnish 'real life' support for the effectiveness
of this approach to adult learning in different cultures and give
the reader the opportunity to vicariously experience popular
education in action."
--Adult Education Quarterly
"Recommended for anyone interested in education and training at
Learning to Listen, Learning to Teach: The Power of Dialogue in Educating Adults, Revised Edition (US $40.00)
Total List Price: US $80.00
Discounted Price: US $60.00 (Save: US $20.00)