The Jossey-Bass Reader on the Brain and Learning
December 2007, Jossey-Bass
- An overview of the brain
- The brain-based learning debate
- Memory, cognition, and intelligence
- Emotional and social foundations
- The arts
- When the brain works differently
About the Authors.
PART ONE An Overview of the Brain.
1. How Our Brain Constructs Our Mental World (Richard Restak).
2. Mirrors in the Mind (Giacomo Rizzolatti, Leonardo Fogassi, and Vittorio Gallese).
3. Alphabetized Entries from How to Explain a Brain (Robert Sylwester).
PART TWO The Brain in the Classroom: The Brain-Based Learning Debate.
4. Neuroscience and Education (Usha Goswami).
5. In Search of . . . Brain-Based Education (John T. Bruer).
6. Learning Not by Chance: Enrichment in the Classroom (Marian C. Diamond and Janet Hopson).
7. Mind and Brain (John D. Bransford, Ann L. Brown, and Rodney R. Cocking).
PART THREE The Thinking Brain: Memory, Cognition, and Intelligence.
8. Learning and Remembering (Sarah-Jayne Blakemore and Uta Frith).
9. Who Owns Intelligence? (Howard Gardner).
10. The Balance Theory of Wisdom (Robert J. Sternberg).
11. Remembrance of Emotions Past (Joseph LeDoux).
PART FOUR The Feeling Brain: Emotional and Social Foundations.
12. We Feel, Therefore We Learn: The Relevance of Affective and Social Neuroscience to Education (Mary Helen Immordino-Yang and Antonio Damasio).
13. Selections from Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers (Robert M. Sapolsky).
14. The Effect of Violence and Stress in Kids’ Brains (Ronald Kotulak).
PART FIVE The Learning Brain: Language, Reading, and Math.
15. The Literate Brain (Sarah-Jayne Blakemore and Uta Frith).
16. Why Some Smart People Can’t Read (Sally Shaywitz).
17. What Happens in the Brain When Children Read (Patricia Wolfe and Pamela Nevills).
18. Small Heads for Big Calculations (Stanislas Dehaene).
19. Math Skills (James P. Byrnes).
PART SIX The Learning Brain: The Arts.
20. The Brain and the Arts (David A. Sousa).
21. The Role of the Arts in Transforming Consciousness: Education Is the Process of Learning How to Invent Yourself (Elliot W. Eisner).
22. My Favorite Thing: Why Do We Like the Music We Like? (Daniel J. Levitin).
PART SEVEN The Exceptional Brain: When It Works Differently.
23. Exploring Exceptional Brains (Eric Jensen).
24. Selections from The Minds of Boys (Michael Gurian and Kathy Stevens).
25. The Great Continuum: Diagnosing Autism (Temple Grandin).
26. Broken Mirrors: A Theory of Autism (Vilayanur S. Ramachandran and Lindsay M. Oberman).
Covers the hot topic of brain research and its influence on teaching and learning.
Offers teachers evidence for their practice.
Useful in undergraduate and graduate coursework, across departments in schools of education.
Includes pieces by Marian Diamond, Howard Gardner, John Bruer, David Sousa, Sally Shaywitz, John Bransford--and more.
Contains glossary of brain terms, easy-to-understand brain diagrams, and other useful illustrative material.
The Jossey-Bass Reader on the Brain and Learning (US $43.00)
-and- The Jossey-Bass Reader on Educational Leadership, 2nd Edition (US $43.00)
Total List Price: US $86.00
Discounted Price: US $58.50 (Save: US $27.50)