Mastering Alliance Strategy: A Comprehensive Guide to Design, Management, and Organization
December 2002, Jossey-Bass
* Designing the alliance and crafting the agreement
* Managing the alliance after it is launched
* Leveraging a constellation of alliances
* Building an internal alliance capability
Introduction: What Is Alliance Strategy?
Part One: Designing Alliances Setting Strategy.
1. Envisioning Collaboration (David Ernst).
2. Finding Joint Value (Charles Roussel).
3. Managing Risk.
4. Entering Emerging Markets (Ashwin Adarkar, Asif Adil, David Ernst, Paresh Vaish).
5. Putting Strategy Before Structure.
Building the Foundation.
6. Collaborating with Competitors.
7. Crafting the Agreement: Lawyers and Managers (David Ernst, Stephen I. Glover, James D. Bamford).
8. Negotiating the Deal.
Part Two: Managing Alliances Working Together.
9. Relationship Management (Jeff Weiss, Laura J. Visioni).
10. Governing Collaboration.
11. Making Joint Decisions (Francine G. Pillemer, Stephen G. Racioppo).
12. Managing Without Control (Gene Slowinski).
Leading the Relationship.
13. Alliance Staffing.
14. Roles of the Alliance Manager.
15. Life as an Alliance Manager.
16. Why Joint Ventures Die (Bruce Kogut).
17. Graceful Exit.
Part Three: Competing in Constellations Managing Networks.
18. Constellation Strategy.
19. Constellation Governance.
20. Constellation Dynamics.
Veterans and Pioneers.
21. Reaching Every Pocket: Coca-Cola.
22. Network Effects: Visa International.
23. From Local to Global: Colliers International.
24. Leading Wagon Trains: Western Wisdom.
Part Four: Building an Alliance Capability.
Sustaining the Effort.
25. Growth of Alliance Capabilities (James D. Bamford, David Ernst).
26. Alliances Across the Corporation: Unisys.
27. Training for Collaboration.
28. Grandmasters at the Extremes.
29. Order Out of Chaos: Lotus Development.
30. From Art to Science: FedEx.
31. An Army of Diplomats: Eli Lilly (Nelson M. Sims, Roger G. Harrison, Anton Gueth).
About the Authors.
Benjamin Gomes-Casseres is a professor at Brandeis University and previously was at Harvard Business School. He wrote The Alliance Revolution and numerous articles on alliance strategy and he consults and teaches widely on the topic.
Michael S. Robinson is a consultant in Sydney, Australia, and was cofounder and publisher of The Alliance Analyst. He launched a number of publications and started successful businesses in Asia, Europe, and the United States.
"In today's environment, creating sustainable value for customers and shareholders requires building effective alliances. This thoughtful book gives practical insights on how to do so with one partner, as well as state-of-the-art thinking on how to manage an entire portfolio of partners. It offers clear steps to help managers at all levels develop their own best practices. In short, it is must-reading for managers in any firm that wants to work with leading-edge, alliance-savvy partners or that is striving to become one itself." Steve Steinhilber, vice president, strategic alliances, Cisco Systems
"Today, alliances are essential building blocks for companies to achieve stronger and more effective market presence. In Mastering Alliance Strategy, the authors skillfully present a comprehensive guide to designing, managing, and organizing successful alliances." Yotaro Kobayashi, chairman of the board, Fuji Xerox Co., Ltd.
"A great bridge between theory and day-to-day practice. It will be valuable to companies developing an alliance strategy for the first time, as well as to those with substantial experience." Dr. Rüdiger Grube, senior vice president for corporate development, DaimlerChrysler AG