Community-Based Health Organizations: Advocating for Improved Health
January 2005, Jossey-Bass
Foreword (Mary E. Northridge).
Part One: The Context of Community-Based Health Organizations (CBHOs).
1. Historical and Organizational Frameworks of Community-Based Health Organizations in the United States (Marcia Bayne Smith).
2. CBHOs: Improving Health Through Community Development (Marcia Bayne Smith)
Part Two: Community-Based Health Organizations: Essential Functions and Ongoing Challenges.
3. CBHOs: A Research Report (Marcia Bayne Smith, Sally Guttmacher).
4. Case Study: The Health Keepers Model of Service Delivery (Yvonne J. Graham).
Part Three: The CBHO Environment and Models for the Future 201
5. The Political and Economic Management of CBHOs (Marcia Bayne Smith).
6. Planning for Sustainability (Yvonne J. Graham).
7. The Future of CBHOs: Improving Health Outcomes for Everyone (Marcia Bayne Smith, Yvonne J. Graham).
Yvonne J. Graham, R.N., M.P.H., Brooklyn's Deputy Borough President, is founder and past president of the Caribbean Women's Health Association, Inc., Brooklyn, New York. She has served on the Public Health Association of New York City's Board of Directors.
Sally Guttmacher, Ph.D., is Director of the MPH program in Community Public Health at New York University and Past President of the Public Health Association of New York City. She is on the Board of the Caribbean Women's Health Association and is the President Elect of the Association of Teachers of Preventive Medicine.
--H. Jack Geiger, M.D., Logan Professor Emeritus of Community Medicine, City University of New York Medical School
"A lively and scholarly account of the successes and obstacles that community health organizations face."
--Nicholas Freudenberg, Distinguished Professor of Public Health, Hunter College, City University of New York
"A comprehensive, scholarly, and passionate book that analyzes the health of communities and describes effective organizing models for change."
--Karen Benker, M.D., M.P.H., assistant clinical professor, Department of Preventive Medicine, State University of New York Downstate Medical Center