July 2004, Jossey-Bass
This book is a volume in the Jossey-Bass Leadership Library in Education—a series designed to meet the demand for new ideas and insights about leadership in schools.
1. Becoming Moral: The Test of Leadership.
5. Giving Birth to Virtue.
6. Implications for Leaders of Schools.
ROBERT J. STARRATT is professor of education at Boston College. Starratt taught at Fordham University after serving as principal and teacher at schools in Denver, Connecticut, and Massachusetts. The author of numerous books and articles, Starratt's work has focused on moral and ethical issues in education.
- A leading expert on moral and ethical issues in education offers insight into the challenges faced daily by school leaders
- Short, practical, and easy-to-read -- tailored for the busy professional
- Helps both aspiring and practicing leaders keep up with a dynamic field.
- Meets the demand for new ideas and insights about leadership.
—Eric Bredo, professor and coordinator, Social Foundations Program, Department of Leadership, Foundations and Policy, University of Virginia
"This book provides a brilliant fusion of the philosophical and
the practical in analyzing the ethical and moral dimensions of
educational leadership. The foundational ethics of authenticity,
responsible and presence provides a new and very creative framework
for the practice of moral leadership. A must read."
—Patrick Duignan, foundation chair in education leadership, director, Research Center in Educational Leadership, Australian Catholic University