Latina Health in the United States: A Public Health Reader
September 2003, ©2003, Jossey-Bass
PART ONE: INTRODUCTION: OVERVIEW AND CRITICAL ISSUES AFFECTING LATINA HEALTH.
1. The State of the Art: Latinas in the Health Literature (Marilyn Aguirre-Molina, Noilyn Abesamis, Michelle Castro).
2. Public Health Needs and Scientific Opportunities in Research on Latinas (Hortensia Amaro, Adela de la Torre).
PART TWO: RISK FACTORS AND DISPARITIES AMONG LATINAS.
3. Disparities in Health Indicators for Latinas in California (Lourdes Baezconde-Garbanati, Carmen J. Portillo, James A. Garbanati).
4. The Role of Health Insurance on Latinas’ Health (Estelamari Rodriguez, Olveen Carrasquillo).
PART THREE: SEXUAL AND REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH ISSUES.
5. The Reproductive Years: The Health of Latinas (Aida L. Giachello).
6. Agency and Constraint: Sterilization and Reproductive Freedom Among Puerto Rican Women in New York City (Iris Lopez).
7. Subverting Culture: Promoting HIV/AIDS Prevention Among Puerto Rican and Dominican Women (Blanca Ortiz-Torres, Irma Serrano-García, Nélida Torres-Burgos).
PART FOUR: CHRONIC CONDITIONS: HEART DISEASE, CANCER, AND DIABETES.
8. Mortality from Coronary Heart Disease and Cardiovascular Disease Among Adult U.S. Hispanics: Findings from the National Health Interview Survey (1986 to 1994) (Youlian Liao, Richard S. Cooper, Guichan Cao, Jay S. Kaufman, Andrew E. Long, Daniel L. McGee).
9. Use of Cancer Screening Practices by Hispanic Women: Analyses by Subgroup (Ruth E. Zambrana, Nancy Breen, Sarah A. Fox, Mary Lou Gutierrez-Mohamed).
10. Risk Factors for Invasive Cervical Cancer in Latino Women (Anna Nápoles-Springer, Eliseo J. Pérez-Stable, Eugene Washington).
11. Perspectives of Pregnant and Postpartum Latino Women on Diabetes, Physical Activity, and Health (Edith C. Kieffer, Sharla K. Willis, Natalia Arellano, Ricardo Guzman).
PART FIVE: ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, AND OTHER DRUGS.
12. Alcohol Use and Misuse Among Hispanic Women: Selected Factors, Processes, and Studies (Glorisa Canino).
13. The Treatment of Alcohol Dependency Among Latinas: A Feminist, Cultural, and Community Perspective (Juana Mora).
14. Tobacco Use Among Multiethnic Latino Populations (Jon F. Kerner, Nancy Breen, Mariella C. Tefft, Joscelyn Silsby).
15. Illicit Drug Use Among Mexicans and Mexican Americans in California: The Effects of Gender and Acculturation (William A. Vega, Ethel Alderete, Bohdan Kolody, Sergio Aguilar-Gaxiola).
16. Substance Abuse Treatment: Critical Issues and Challenges in the Treatment of Latina Women (Hortensia Amaro, Rita Nieves, Sergut Wolde Johannes, Nirzka M. Labault Cabeza).
PART SIX: MENTAL HEALTH.
17 Latinas (Melba J. T. Vasquez).
PART SEVEN: THE NEXT GENERATION: LATINA ADOLESCENTS.
18. The Protective Role of Social Capital and Cultural Norms in Latino Communities: A Study of Adolescent Births (Jill Denner, Douglas Kirby, Karin Coyle, Claire Brindis).
19. Smoking Acquisition Among Adolescents and Young Latinas: The Role of Socioenvironmental and Personal Factors (Celia P. Kaplan, Anna Nápoles-Springer, Susan L. Stewart, Eliseo J. Pérez-Stable).
20. The Role of Intergenerational Discrepancy of Cultural Orientation in Drug Use Among Latina Adolescents (María Félix-Ortiz de la Garza, Alicia Fernandez, Michael D. Newcomb).
21. Depressive Symptoms and Suicidal Ideation Among Mexican-Origin and Anglo Adolescents (Robert E. Roberts, Yuan-Who Chen).
PART EIGHT: RURAL AND MIGRANT FARMWORKER LATINAS.
22. Cancer-Screening Determinants Among Hispanic Women Using Migrant Health Clinics (Tracy L. Skaer, Linda M. Robison, David A. Sclar, Gary H. Harding).
23. Lifetime Prevalence of and Risk Factors for Psychiatric Disorders Among Mexican Migrant Farmworkers in California (Ethel Alderete, William A. Vega, Bohdan Kolody, Sergio Aguilar-Gaxiola).
24. Intimate Victimization of Latina Farmworkers: A Research Summary (Joe Gorton, Nikki R. Van Hightower).
PART NINE: SPECIAL ISSUES.
25. Relation of Demographic and Lifestyle Factors to Symptoms in a Multiracial/Ethnic Population of Women Forty- to Fifty-Five Years of Age (Ellen B. Gold, Barbara Sternfeld, Jennifer L. Kelsey, Charlotte Brown, Charles Mouton, Nancy Reame, Loran Salamone, Rebecca Stellato).
26. Lesbian Women of Color: Triple Jeopardy (Beverly Greene).
27. Prevalence and Predictors of Physical Partner Abuse Among Mexican American Women (E. Anne Lown, William A. Vega).
28. Acculturation and Disordered Eating Patterns Among Mexican American Women (Rebeca Chamorro, Yvette Flores-Ortiz).
29. Welfare Reform and Its Impact on Latino Families (Diana Romero).
Carlos W. Molina is professor of health education and dean of academic affairs at Hostos Community College at City University of New York. He has served as the executive director of Lincoln Hospital in New York.
Aguirre-Molina and Molina are coeditors (with Ruth Enid Zambrana) of Health Issues in the Latino Community (Jossey-Bass, 2001).
— Natalia Molina, associate professor of ethnic studies, University of California, San Diego
"An extraordinarily valuable volume detailing and analyzing the
complex realities of Latina health in the US and the social,
cultural and economic factors that influence them. Essential
reading for health workers, public health professionals, educators,
students, and other caregivers written by the best in the
— Ruth Sidel, professor of sociology, Hunter College and author, Keeping Women and Children Last: America's War on the Poor