The Skilled Negotiator: Mastering the Language of Engagement
April 2004, Jossey-Bass
- Identify your negotiation style and its limitations
- Use language strategically whether you're being subtle or direct
- Recognize deception and manage it
- Position and persuade artfully
- Effectively negotiate one-on-one and in teams
- Deal constructively with your own and others—heated emotions
1. Defining the Art.
2. A Versatile Frame of Mind.
3. Preparation and Planning.
4. Prioritizing Issues, Setting and Revising Goals.
5. Ethical Considerations.
6. The Persuasive Opening.
7. Persuasion Strategy Choices.
8. The Role of Power.
9. When the Discussion Gets Stalled or Heated.
10. Taking Negotiation Talents Global.
Peter Samuelson, founder, Starlight Children’s Foundation, First Star Public Policy Initiative
“Rarely is a topic so critical to business as negotiation advanced as far as Reardon has done. Her book is an exceptional breakout of the craft. Wish I’d had it years ago.”
Tania A. Modic, managing director, Western Investments Capital
“Kathleen Kelly Reardon is a skilled negotiator both in the sense of coming to a win-win situation with others, but also using her considerable intellect to negotiate the currents of life. The Skilled Negotiator is a book, therefore, written by a skilled negotiator. Highly recommended!”
Tony Buzan, author, The Mind Map Book