Black Families at the Crossroads: Challenges and Prospects, Revised Edition
September 2004, Jossey-Bass
Preface to the Revised Edition.
Preface to the First Edition.
1. History as Fact and Fiction.
2. Studying Black Families.
3. Work and Money: The Struggle.
4. Patterns of Sexual Intimacy.
5. Singlehood and Partner Selection.
6. Gender Roles and Male Sexism.
7. Marital Patterns and Interactions.
8. The Challenges of Parenting.
9. Kinship and Community Support.
10. Social Change, Challenges, and Prospects.
About the Authors.
Robert Staples is an emeritus faculty member of the University of California, San Francisco, and visiting fellow in the Centre for Australian Indigenous Studies at Monash University, Melbourne, Australia.