Boards That Make a Difference: A New Design for Leadership in Nonprofit and Public Organizations, 3rd Edition
February 2006, Jossey-Bass
Prologue: Beginning and Ending with Purpose.
1. Leadership by Governing Boards: A Vision of Group Accountability.
2. Policy as a Leadership Tool: The Force of Explicit Values.
3. Designing Policies That Make a Difference: Governing by Values.
4. Focusing on Results: The Power of Purpose.
5. Controlling Ethics and Prudence: What's Not OK, Even if It Works.
6. Strong Boards Need Strong Executives: The Board-Executive Relationship.
7. The Board's Responsibility for Itself: Governing Oneself Precedes Governing Others.
8. Officers and Committees: The Chief Governance Officer and Other Divisions of Board Labor.
9. Policy Development by Levels: Adding Details Judiciously.
10. Making Meetings Meaningful: Creating the Future More Than Reviewing the Past.
11. Maintaining Board Leadership: Staying on Track and Institutionalizing Excellence.
12. But Does It Work? Criticisms, Effectiveness Research, and Model Consistency.
Resource A. Varieties of Policy Governance Applications.
Resource B. Bylaws.
Resource C. Glossary.
THE CARVER NAME—Carver’s name just keeps gaining stature. He is acknowledged as the leading authority in governance
INCREASING INTEREST IN TOPIC—Board Accountability is a hot issue right now. All nonprofits are paying special attention to governance.
--Larry C. Spears, CEO, The Greenleaf Center for Servant-Leadership; editor, Reflections on Leadership, Insights on Leadership, Servant Leadership, The Power of Servant Leadership; co-editor, Practicing Servant Leadership and Focus on Leadership
"It took an inspired social scientist to record and describe the
fundamental principles of [the Policy Governance] model, which
provides deep insight into the role of the Board in the modern
--Jeremy Booker, vice president corporate governance, British Petroleum, London
"Dr. Carver’s governance model has been the key in
empowering the State Bar of California Board of Governors to focus
on policy that would help our judicial system."
--Andrew J. Guilford, 1999-2000 president, State Bar of California
"An indispensable guidebook to leadership excellence."
--George Weber, executive director, Canadian Dental Association, Ottawa; former secretary general, International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, Geneva
"Boards That Make a Difference explicates the model,
which is simple, powerful and, above all, successful."
—W. H. Hann, former executive director, Association of Independent Schools of Western Australia
"This book's sound premises regarding proper role delineation
and its practical advice provide an invaluable resource."
--Dr. John R. Seffrin, CEO, American Cancer Society, Atlanta
"Dr. Carver offers a visionary yet practical approach to
--Adalberto Palma Gómez, senior partner, Aperture S.C.; former director, Institute for the Protection of Bank Savings; chairman, Center for Excellence in Corporate Governance, Mexico City
"Policy Governance gives governing bodies and CEOs a clear
insight into their mutual relationship and their distinct
--Jacques Gerards, CEO, Dutch Association of Governors in Health Care, The Netherlands
Buy Both and Save 25%!
Boards That Make a Difference: A New Design for Leadership in Nonprofit and Public Organizations, 3rd Edition (US $49.00)
Total List Price: US $98.00
Discounted Price: US $73.50 (Save: US $24.50)