Research Methods in Health Promotion
January 2006, ©2006, Jossey-Bass
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
Other Available Formats: E-book
Author reputation: Crosby and DiClemente are highly respected and recognized researchers in sexual and reproductive health. DiClemente is also a major researcher in the area of violence and accident prevention. Their previous Jossey-Bass book, Emerging Theories in Health Promotion Practice and Research, has been acclaimed in such journals as Health Promotion Practice and in Health Behavior and Health Education.
- Need: A course in Research Methods is a core of MPH programs in health promotion (e.g., masters of science in health promotion, masters of health science, maters in health education). There are also several hundred health promotion programs within graduate schools of education. Upper-level undergraduate courses (in bachelors programs that related to health science, health education, health promotion, or allied health) also typically require a course in research methods.
- Foundations: This book includes chapters on the structure, philosophy and theory, and ethical issues generally relating to research in health and medicine.
- Research Design: Chapters cover the complete research process, from observation through to evaluation, and including specifics relating to both qualitative and quantitative research.
- Hard skills: A separate set of chapters covers measurement, sampling, and analysis in depth.
- Practicality: Areas not usually included in research texts, such as writing a grant proposal to getting research published, are wrapped up in the final section of the book.