Facilitating the Project Lifecycle: The Skills & Tools to Accelerate Progress for Project Managers, Facilitators, and Six Sigma Project Teams
August 2005, Jossey-Bass
- Recommendations for capitalizing on group knowledge to accelerate the building of key project deliverables and ensure their quality as they are built
- A work session structure for planning, delivering, and following up facilitated work sessions
- Guides for building key project deliverables
- Sample agendas
- Proven techniques for managing the group dynamics
PART 1: THE POWER OF THE PARTNERSHIP: PROJECTS AND FACILITATION.
Section 1: The Commitment to Perform.
1. Old Dogs and New Tricks.
2. Facilitation Within the Project Lifecycle.
Section 2: The Ability to Perform.
3. Who’s on First?
4. What Effective Facilitation Is and Is Not.
PART 2: THE PARTNERSHIP IN PRACTICE: MAKING FACILITATED WORK SESSIONS WORK.
Section 3: Work Session Basics.
5. Making Work Sessions Work.
6. The Work Session Tightrope.
7. Preparing for the Work Session.
8. Conducting the Work Session.
9. Wrapping Up the Work Session.
Section 4: Facilitating the Deliverable.
10. Establishing the Project Charter.
11. Analyzing and Designing Business Processes.
12. Defining Business Requirements.
13. Assessing Risks.
14. Convening Work-in-Progress Reviews.
PART 3: THE TECHNIQUES.
Section 5: General Facilitation Techniques: Engaging the Group.
15. It’s All About Communication.
18. Facilitated Dialogue.
19. Nominal Group and Affinity Analysis.
20. Prioritization Techniques.
21. Breakout Groups.
22. Staying On Track: Agendas, Action Items, and Other Focusing Techniques.
Section 6: Specialized Facilitation Techniques: Building the Deliverables.
23. Creating a Purpose Statement.
24. Defining Objectives and Targets.
25. Scope Framing.
26. Guiding Factors: Assumptions, Constraints, Dependencies, and Touch Points.
27. Discovering Impacts.
28. Risk Analysis Matrices.
29. Process Decomposition.
30. Process Mapping.
31. Process Detail Table.
32. Context Diagramming.
33. Requirements Table.
34. Developing a Timeline.
PART 4: RESOURCES.
A. Cross-Reference Tables for Tools and Techniques.
B. Recommended Books and Journals.
C. Recommended Web Sites.
D. Recommended Organizations.
Templates on CD-ROM.
How to Use the Accompanying CD-ROM.
Tammy Adams is the managing partner of Chaosity LLC, a consulting firm specializing in collaborative techniques for business process improvement and project acceleration. She is a certified professional facilitator and certified quality manager.
Includes CD-Rom with practical tools and templates that can be customized or used "as-is"
Provides specific examples of using specialized work systems with Six Sigma projects
Provides explicit instructions on how to match the facilitation technique to the project need and how to facilitate in a group setting
--Ellen Gottesdiener, EBG Consulting, Inc., author, Requirements by Collaboration: Workshops for Defining Needs
“This book is a road map to successful facilitation of
teams to realize business improvements and change through
--Wes Hopmans, director of IT, Crane & Co., Inc.
“Jan Means and Tammy Adams open their notebooks, sharing
hard-won procedures, session designs, and tips that would take
years to acquire on your own.”
--Maureen Jenkins, chair, International Association of Facilitators
“Anyone who runs projects effectively knows that project
success is rooted in people. Facilitating the Project
Lifecycle puts people on center stage, which makes it
exceptional among project management books.”
--J. Davidson Frame, academic dean, University of Management and Technology
“This book does an amazing job of applying facilitation to
the complexities of project management. I can’t imagine a
project leader who wouldn’t want to keep this resource
--Ingrid Bens, author, Facilitating with Ease!
“Jan Means and Tammy Adams give us a toolkit of skills,
templates, and techniques essential for success on any
--Doug DeCarlo, author, eXtreme Project Management
“The real roadblock to a successful project is invariably
people. This book tackles this challenge head on by leveraging
group dynamics to bring teams to consensus and break down barriers
to successful project delivery.”
--William M. Ulrich, president, Tactical Strategy Group, Inc., author, Legacy Systems: Transformation Strategies
Buy Both and Save 25%!
Facilitating the Project Lifecycle: The Skills & Tools to Accelerate Progress for Project Managers, Facilitators, and Six Sigma Project Teams (US $65.00)
Total List Price: US $135.00
Discounted Price: US $101.25 (Save: US $33.75)