School Board Talk!: The Art of Effective Communication
April 2005, Jossey-Bass
- Casting the lone “no” vote and surviving?
- Keeping your family in your fan club?
- Building a school board team?
- Handling constituent calls?
- Conquering the memo mountain?
If you answered yes, then School Board Talk! is the book you need. The book provides both aspiring and veteran school board members practical answers to a host of complex school district situations.
Prelude: The Genesis of School Boards Introduction.
Chapter One: Board Panache.
Chapter Two: Peer Points: Building Board Relationships.
Chapter Three: Heart Healthy Relationships: Keeping Families and Friends Close.
Chapter Four: The Parent Connection.
Chapter Five: Staff Stuff: Working With Principals, Administrators, and Teachers.
Chapter Six: Money Matters: Dealing With Budget Decisions.
Chapter Seven: Constituents’ Capers: Handling Those Special Cases.
Chapter Eight: Community Challenges: Keeping Your Hometown on Your Side.
Share Your Snapshots.
Appendix A: Toolkit for Success.
Appendix B: Acronyms: Interpreting School Lingo.
Appendix C: Bringing the Art of Communication to You.
About the Authors.
RUTH JACOBY, Ed.D., is the founding principal of the Somerset Academy charter schools for grades preK11, which also received an A+ rating. She has more than thirty years' experience as an administrator and educator in traditional public, private, and charter schools. Both Jacoby and Cerra are public speakers and have spoken at state and national conferences.
2. Gives 50 clear suggestions, tips, strategies, and advice for troubleshooting early and long-term challenges while in office.
3. Addresses topics such as: casting the lone “no” vote and surviving, keeping your family in your fan club, building a school board team, handling constituent calls, and conquering the email and memo mountain.
4. For both the aspiring and the veteran school board members, this books offers practical answers to a host of complex school district situations.
--G. Holmes Braddock, former president of the Council of Great City Schools and 38 year veteran School Board Member