Into the Classroom: Developing the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
October 2005, Jossey-Bass
Based on the development of the Carnegie Academy for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, Into the Classroom clearly shows the advantages of bringing teaching into the public arena and making it possible for many people to see the nature and quality of the teaching that goes on inside schools. Once teaching is more public we can create unprecedented opportunities for teachers to learn from one another and for others to participate constructively in supporting and improving schools. Into the Classroom outlines the myriad issues that must be addressed in order for the teaching profession to become a true learning profession.
Into the Classroom contains well-researched recommendations for ways to facilitate communication, collegiality, and information sharing and includes suggestions for:
- Documenting and representing what teachers actually do in the classroom
- Establishing new forums for the presentation, publication, and review of teachers' work
- Creating an audience for teachers' work and building the collective capacity to interpret and assess what goes on in the classroom
- Implementing standards that recognize and encourage teachers' professionalism
- Developing new standards that support Federal mandates for improving teaching quality
Preface: Making Teaching Public.
Overview: Scholarship of Teaching and Learning.
Bringing Teaching Out of the Shadows.
2. In the Classroom.
Challenges and Opportunities for Learning from Teaching.
3. Beyond the Classroom.
How One Teacher’s Inquiry Can Influence Her Peers.
4. Beyond the School.
How Teachers’ Learning Can Advance the Field.
5. Knowledge Out of Practice.
Using Technology to Build on Teachers’ Expertise.
Into the Classroom: Developing the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (US $36.00)
Total List Price: US $88.00
Discounted Price: US $66.00 (Save: US $22.00)